PDA

View Full Version : VPN through VPS

Sergey
07-24-2004, 04:29 AM
I wonder if I can make a VPS (on Fluid Hosting) as a VPN server.
Is it possible?

Another description of the problem:
I have several (right now -only two) computers in different parts of the world. - They are "offices". And (unfortunately or not) they are moving. (notebooks). Also they are not working "all day long" - (Thus, they cannot be servers).
All these computers must work with "shared data", lake they are integrated in local network.
So, I read, that solution might be VPN. Only one part missing here - VPN server, which will also contain all shared data.
My question is on top of this post...
Or, may be, you can advise something different?

allera
07-24-2004, 08:37 AM
From what I understand, VPN is a method of tying remote locations into a central network. Do you have a central network (like a corporate office or something)? You'd want to tie into that (and then use the network resources there).

If you were to VPN into a Fluid VPS, you'd essentially be on the Fluid network with your PC, which I don't think is what you want.

What you may want to do instead is maybe set up your VPS server to be an FTP server. I'm pretty sure you can map an FTP server to Windows Explorer in XP and access it like a normal drive (although I've never done it before). Then you can all share the same data that way. Or, of course, your remote locations could VPN into your central office and access the resources there.

Sergey
07-26-2004, 06:53 AM
From what I understand, VPN is a method of tying remote locations into a central network. Do you have a central network (like a corporate office or something)? You'd want to tie into that (and then use the network resources there).
You have enough information in my previous post to answer your question. I want a VPS to be a server for me, not web-mail-ftp-server, but VPN-server.

If you were to VPN into a Fluid VPS, you'd essentially be on the Fluid network with your PC, which I don't think is what you want.
These words just nonsense! How can I be in Fluid network just by setting up VPN on my (not their) server?
If they have capabilities to view and change data on my server (of course, they do), but don't have rights to do this (I hope so) until I pay money, it won't be any problem. There will be nothing interesting exactly for them.

What you may want to do instead is maybe set up your VPS server to be an FTP server.FTP does not suit me. Don't ask why. Just try to understand the difference between NetBIOS and FTP.

allera
07-26-2004, 08:59 AM
How can I be in Fluid network just by setting up VPN on my (not their) server?
When you say "my (not their) server" do you mean literally, your own server (hosted elsewhere, like an office), or one hosted at Fluid (like a vPS)? If you are to VPN INTO a server at Fluid (hosted at Fluid, like a VPS), the incoming client would act as if it was ON the Fluid network.

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding your question, but when you say "Only one part missing here - VPN server, which will also contain all shared data," you lead me to believe that the VPS will be the terminating point for your VPN, in which the client will think it's on the Fluid network (because the VPN/VPS is on the Fluid network).

A VPN is like a private line over the internet. Instead of getting a T1 or something directly to the network your VPS is on, you're use VPN over the internet.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding here...

Sergey
07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Let's pretend, I have my own stand-alone dedicated server - computer with it's own dedicated Internet-IP address. No other computers connected to it (It does not have a local network.) It has an OS (Linux RedHat) and a VPN-software (pptpd) installed. So, it is VPN server. It has NetBIOS shared folder(s), but availabe only through VPN connection - to other VPN clients.
Now, let's change our dedicted server to VPS...
What will change?... Maybe I need to know better, how VPS works on FluidHosting?
------------------------------------
Let's say: here I am trying to connect to my VPN-server on VPS.
IP address, I'm trying to connect belongs to FluidHosting. But as soon as I have connected to my VPN-server from VPN-client, I am in my Private network with it's own IP-addresses.(192.168.0.x) Now I'm able to work with NetBIOS shared data on my VPN-server,and with all shared data on other VPN-clients.

cord
07-26-2004, 12:19 PM
That will work as far as I know segey.
What allera said was correct. I think inititally you did not make it clear that you want the vps to act as a vpn server as well as actually serving data. Many places have a vpn server as a gateway to their own LAN.
But if you have vpn serving and other types of services on the same vps, there should be no problem.