PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL Database Questions

amiceli
08-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

I just signed up for an account but I guess I should have asked this before signup as it's really a pre-requisite to migrating my website:

- Can I configure my PostgreSQL database to be unicode?

- Is this possible to be done via the web based admin interface?

- What PostgreSQL version is currenlt installed on Fluid's systems for the 'Web Hosting' accounts?

Is there anything else relevant to PostgreSQL I should know about?

Thanks,
Tony

allera
08-07-2004, 07:17 PM
We are waiting to hear back from the developer regarding Unicode support within the CP.

As for the version, the server is running 7.3.4.

I asked you a few questions in your ticket this morning; it may help clear up some things.

amiceli
08-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Ok, this is how the situation is right now:

a) You cannot choose an encoding when creating a postgres database in control panel.

b) You can choose an encoding when attempting to create a database with PhpPgAdmin, but I don't have permission to do it. I get an error:

"
SQL error:
ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: permission denied

In statement:
CREATE DATABASE "xxxxxx" WITH ENCODING='UNICODE'
"

I am logging into PhpPgAdmin using the PGSql user that I created in control panel.

It appears that the control panel using PhpPgAdmin programatically to create databases, is this true? If that's the case, would it be possible to supply an encoding option in the control panels create function as well?

Basically, the functionality in control panel for database creation doesn't support my multilingual needs, and I would expect a growing number of websites will be outgrowing the SQL_ASCII encoding that is currently defaulted by the control panel.

I'm going to have a large number of users screaming at me as of tomorrow (unforseen events saw my old link be disconnected as of tomorrow), so naturally all my time is being consumed on this final hurdle which is taking a while to resolve. It seems so close yet so far, the facilities are there, but just a permission issue is preventing the database creation.

I have a ticket for this and am awaiting a reply.

cord
08-08-2004, 03:15 AM
maybe you can just have fluid go in manually and recreate the database with the encoding settings you require.
I agree in that unicode is an inevitability. Its funny that mysql stable has yet to support it.

amiceli
08-08-2004, 03:27 AM
I've tried that and even provided them with the script reuiqired to run (I have been administering PostgreSQL for some time now). I got a distinct feeling that there may be a lack of knowledge regarding PostgreSQL when it was suggest that I simply try to import my data. If you are running a production system you don't 'try' anything, besides you cannot just dump unicode formatted data into a system that supports basic ASCII encodings, it ends up as garbage. I'm also worried that the turnarounds are a bit slow on this. I understand it needs to be looked into but an autoresponder on the email address followed by hours of delays doesn't give me any comfort that at any given time if there is an issue then I'm not going to upset my own users. If the operators are stretched that much mabe more of them are needed, just a suggestion. My impression has been good so far for all but the database side of things.

amiceli
08-08-2004, 04:17 AM
UPDATE: I now have a unicode pgsql database. One of the friendly operators altered the creation script so I could use the control panel to create the db in unicode (I guess there are some other details that need to be logged by the control panel to keep everything in order). It worked great and I have keyed in some Japanese in the database and it is retrieved as Japanese.

However, I think this probably brings an issue that should eventually be addressed in the control panel in the long-run: a combo box with the available encoding formats listed.

Thanks guys, sorry to be a pain in the behind.