PDA

View Full Version : VPS as dedicated mysql and other questions

cord
08-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Hello,
A while ago I asked a question about forum hosting here on shared accounts. It was mentiond in passing (by one of you FH guys) that you had somenoe using mysql as a dedicated mysql server for it.

I am not thinking about hosting a forum, but another project. I was wondering if you had any insight into how mysql performs on a vps. For example, does it perform comparably to the shared mysql server?

Also, I had a question about administration and such. For example, if I just want a vps with mysql (4.1 or 5.x) on there, with nothing else, how would the vps be handed to me? i.e. is firewall/basic security taken care of?

Thanks in advance.

FH-John
08-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Using a VPS to host a dedicated MySQL server will yield higher performance, in comparison to our shared hosting one. However, depending on the query, will depend on which one be faster.

The main reason for using the VPS is connection limits. We impose a reasonable limit on the number of connections to our shared server. However, with the VPS you could have a much higher limit.

Generally speaking the VPS would be provided with other basic software: Apache, Sendmail, etc. No firewalling, or security updates are performed unless requested. We can of course remove Apache, etc.

cord
08-10-2004, 04:50 AM
wow. quick response times :)

The thing is this: I have used linux before on a desktop. I have even setup basic firewalls with some guit tools (such as kmyfirewall etc...) I have never manually tampered with iptables rules.

Would I be able to recieve help (initially till I learn) or would I have to pay additionally for admin service?

Same goes for security updates etc...

thanks again.

FH-John
08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
You'll receive assistance in setting things up. For most basic/general tasks, if they don't require much time, approx 15mins, it's no charge. However, complicated tasks may incurr an additional fee.

Skibum
08-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Say John

Any idea what it would cost to have you set up a VPS so that it is "ready to go" in a similar fashon to your shared hosting solution? Sort of a turnkey generic setup....

FH-John
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Actually, they are pretty much turnkey from the start. When signing up, the system asks if you want MySQL, etc. Then it installs the selections, and enables them within the control panel.

HSP Complete(VPS control panel) allows you to add/remove websites, databases, e-mail accounts, etc.

Skibum
08-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Is this different from a year or so ago? When I first signed up, I selected the VPS, but hadn't a clue what to do... :banghead:

FH-John
08-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes, we have upgraded our VPS system. The new HSP release is much more user friendly, and much more functional.

Richard
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Hello,
A while ago I asked a question about forum hosting here on shared accounts. It was mentiond in passing (by one of you FH guys) that you had somenoe using mysql as a dedicated mysql server for it.

I am not thinking about hosting a forum, but another project. I was wondering if you had any insight into how mysql performs on a vps. For example, does it perform comparably to the shared mysql server?

Also, I had a question about administration and such. For example, if I just want a vps with mysql (4.1 or 5.x) on there, with nothing else, how would the vps be handed to me? i.e. is firewall/basic security taken care of?

Thanks in advance.Cord, if you don't mind sharing, let me know how this works out for you. Are you planning on connecting to the VPS/MySQL from one of the windows shared hosting servers?

cord
08-10-2004, 05:53 PM
yes. I am currently developing using asp.net/c# with the bytefx driver locally and it works quite well. There will be a new bytefx driver release in a few days and it is acquired by mysqlAB as the official Connector/NET

The new version will have unicode support and support for other 4.1/5.0 features. Once that is out, I will do a bit more testing a development. I will have a testing version up in a week or so I think (depending on release of the driver).

I will keep you updated how it goes.

on a side note, I will have a bit of fun trying to install mysql on a vps when the time comes. I will probably attempt to use the intel c++ compiler if I cannot find a suitable binary.

Firelogic, are you currently on vps?

cord
08-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Just wanted to make an update. So far, I am about 90 percent done with the project (minus any exception handling). I should be able to do some testing by the end of the coming week.

Meanwhile, since I am a poor student, I was wondering if fluidhosting does custom packages by any chance? Cant hurt to ask :) Its not fun being broke and having a hobby :*(

FH-John
08-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Generally speaking we don't offer custom packages. When we do, it's usually because someone needs more than we offer in a plan.

cord
08-13-2004, 01:31 AM
I see. Well when the time comes, I will start off with the smaller package. Depending on how many users I get, I may need to change plans. Its the processor and memory that are precious to me. I will not have much disk usage or out of network traffic at all.

btw, thanks for the quick reply. always appreciated.

FH-John
08-13-2004, 01:45 AM
BTW: Our VPS is full burst, so at times if you need more RAM or CPU you can burst quite high.

The CPU/RAM listed for the account package are the guaranteed minimum you'll receive.

cord
08-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I know they are burstable. But, I am not compeltely familiar with mysql and how the performance is affected if the database is stored completely in memory vs. on disk. I will probably do some basic benchmarks to see what penalty I will take when I hit the disk.

Unfortunately, I didnt see any page that gives the price for extra resources. Some providers, for example, will list extra 64 megs of memory for 10 dollars (or whatever) so you can get that as an option to your account. Gives more customizability.

How long does it take before you get tired anwering my questions :D

FH-John
08-13-2004, 02:06 AM
If MySQL can run completely from RAM, it'll be much faster. However, it wouldn't really be noticable except under heavy load.

We don't offer extra RAM or CPU allocations. I'm not even certain if HSP Complete has a way to offer those as add-ons. However, you can purchase additional IPs, disk space, and bandwdith. Pricing information is at the bottom of: http://fluidhosting.com/vps/pricing.php

As for getting tired, not sure if that could happen. I've yet to get tired of answering questions, and there are customers who have asked many more than you. Feel free to ask away, we're always happy to help.

cord
08-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Its just that at some point, I was with a hosting company where the impatience of the staff would come through quite obviously after a few questions.

Right now I am running mysql 4.1.2 (or whatever their latest 4.1.x is) using the ADO.NET provider from Reggie Burnett (ByteFX). I started to create a CMS using asp.net but as it kind of grew, I decided to make it a forum. So, I wrote a small application to create test information such as usernames, passwords, join dates, post titles, replies, etc... I had it create about 200000 posts in about 14000 threads on my comp. I am getting page generation times of around .01 - .04 seconds on most pages (depending if connection is open in connection pool). I almost never get the mysql process to go above 20 megs of memory usage so I feel somewhat confident.

I definitely am not expecting such a large amount of users, but am doing testing since I want it to be fast with a small footprint.

Once I get the basic thirng working, I will do some major documenting and code cleanup. That is the part I am least looking forward to. But I am getting ahead of myself :)

Everything will be clear soon enough.

FH-John
08-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Sounds like it's pretty efficient, or you have a really powerful computer. :)

Good luck cleaning up code. :)

cord
08-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Any ways, enough of me spamming for one night. I will post a bit more once I get further along.

thanks again john for answering all the q's

ps: good thing firelogic is not on. I can spam behind his back :cheers:

Richard
08-13-2004, 03:58 AM
ps: good thing firelogic is not on. I can spam behind his back :cheers:HEY! I heard that!
:eek5: :D