PDA

View Full Version : Questions for .Net Shared Hosting

billinghamn
11-07-2004, 06:49 AM
I currently have a number of domains and sub-domains hosted elsewhere running under Win2k and running a mixture of ASP and ASP.Net.

I am having problems with my current web host and am looking for a host that can address the following issues:

1. Domains are not truly independent - they have to be manually redirected from the root and only one web.config file is allowed. E.g. this means that different domains can't have different authentication mechanisms etc.

2. I need to be able to upload files through ASP.Net web forms - my current host does not allow the use of <Form enctype="multipart/form-data"> - it's a security risk apparently!

3. I can't hold pages in different domains with the same name! When browsing to www.domain1.com/default.aspx, my web host gets confused and serves up www.domain2.com/default.aspx.

4. I need to be able to host .net, .me.uk, .co.uk, .com, .org, .info domains.

5. I need to be able to access MS SQL databases remotely for administration. I also need to create multiple MS SQL databases and if necessary enable a domain to access more than one database at a time.

6. Migration from one type of account to another (e.g. upgrades). I need a web host that encourages upgrades by simplying this process.

From you web site, FluidHosting looks to offer a great deal at a very reasonable price - I've seen good write-ups as well, and if you can address the requirements above, I think you might have another convert!

Regards,

Nigel

billinghamn
11-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Sorry forgot to add the following issues:

7. I can't send email (using CDONTs etc) through VB components, I have to send them using a standalone ASP page.

8. I can't get access to application variables (i.e. Application(variablename) since this is a security risk as well.

9. I only have one Global.asax which is used by all my domains.

Regards,

Nigel

FH-Dave
11-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Nigel,

I see that you have signed up. Thank you for choosing Fluid Hosting as your hosting provider. Your account has been activated and you should have received the welcome email by now.

I will now answer some of your questions. The questions that I can't answer I will pass to our windows admin.

1. Domains are not truly independent - they have to be manually redirected from the root and only one web.config file is allowed. E.g. this means that different domains can't have different authentication mechanisms etc.

Our setup allows such that each domain will have its own folder. For example, say you have domain example.com and example.net. The absolute path to each of your domains will be d:\hshome\youraccountname\example.com and d:\hshome\youraccountname\example.net. IIS will be setup such that it will serve each domain with respect to its own directory. You will put your web.config file under the domain directory.

2. I need to be able to upload files through ASP.Net web forms - my current host does not allow the use of <Form enctype="multipart/form-data"> - it's a security risk apparently!

I am pretty sure this is all right. We will look into this.

3. I can't hold pages in different domains with the same name! When browsing to www.domain1.com/default.aspx, my web host gets confused and serves up www.domain2.com/default.aspx.

This will not be a problem with our setup.

4. I need to be able to host .net, .me.uk, .co.uk, .com, .org, .info domains.

No problem here to. We can host any TLDs

5. I need to be able to access MS SQL databases remotely for administration. I also need to create multiple MS SQL databases and if necessary enable a domain to access more than one database at a time.

At this moment, we do allow remote connection to our MSSQL server. However, this may change in the future for security and bandwidth accounting reason. This policy has been applied to our MySQL and PgSQL server. You can create multiple MSSQL databases and access them at the same time. I don't see any problem with this.

6. Migration from one type of account to another (e.g. upgrades). I need a web host that encourages upgrades by simplying this process.

Upgrades from one account to another can be done instantly without any service interruption to your websites. The process simply changes your plan definition.

9. I only have one Global.asax which is used by all my domains.

I don't see any problem here too, since each domain is totally independent of the other domains.

I will have my admin to take a look into your other questions at his soonest convenience. However, since you already have access to your account you can make a quick test. Should you encounter any problem, please send us a support ticket at support[at]fluidhosting.com and we will take a look into the problem promptly.

Thank you once again for choosing Fluid Hosting. I hope you will always have a pleasant and an enjoyable hosting experience with us. Welcome aboard!

ono-neko
11-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nigel,

7. What component are you using to send e-mail? We have ASPMail, ASPEmail, Dundas Mailer, and CDOSYS available on our server. CDONTS isn't supported on Windows 2003 series anymore, and we we are using Windows 2003 Web Ed. for all our Windows shared hosting).

8. As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problem at all. But if you find any problem, just let us know by sending email to support[at]fluidhosting.com, and we'll take a look at it.

As Dave has said, welcome aboard!

ai24
11-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Nigel,

Upgrades from one account to another can be done instantly without any service interruption to your websites. The process simply changes your plan definition.

Sorry to change tack here, but what if a customer moves from a value plan to a premium(?) plan - are they moved servers etc? :bow: :thumbup:

pingme
11-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Sorry to change tack here, but what if a customer moves from a value plan to a premium(?) plan - are they moved servers etc? :bow: :thumbup:

I had asked this question so will answer till some one from FH answers question. Move from Value to Premium is not only a server move but a data center move as well with all together different IP address range :)

FH-Dave
11-07-2004, 08:38 PM
What pingme said ... Currently all value plans customers are on our Equinix data center (Secaucus, NJ) whereas premium plans customers are on our Internap data center (Boston, MA). As we are turning on Internap on that data center, we will host future Premium plans customer on Equinix data center as well.

ai24
11-08-2004, 01:32 PM
what's the difference? how will you distinguish between value and premium on equinix - will they be on different servers?

ono-neko
11-08-2004, 01:43 PM
They are on different servers, and are using different network. Value plans use Peer1, while Premium plans use Internap.

FH-John
11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
They will be on different servers and use different routes.