PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new host

j33pd0g
07-14-2003, 11:24 AM
OK, the host provider I'm on now is begining to get a bit "iffy" they were good for about a year, and so I recommended them to my clients to host their websites - I design websites for them and manage their hosts for them. Well, due to some recent downtime, 2 times in 4 weeks... I am considering leaving them for something better. I am impressed with your users comments about fast, friendly support. My host claims that they weren't even down... thier own website was down. LOL if you want to, but I got several phone calls at midnight on through until the morning complaining that email was down. The last time this happend and I asked them "what the problam was" and they were rude and that there was nothing wrong. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just need to know some things:

1. If I owned additional domain names, can I have them point to directories on my main account. Or would I have to start several accounts? These are personal websites that need to have individual domain names.

2. Do you support imap, not that important, I always wanted to use imap webmail clients. Will SMTP work with the OS X mail.app

3. Does your domain manager support use with Mac OS X. The host I'm on now doesn't allow me to use all of the features - even with IE.

4. Will I be restricted to what php, or cgi scripts I can use?

Thank you for your time, and with any luck we'll be doing some business - and I'll have all my clients switch too.

FH-Dave
07-14-2003, 12:41 PM
j33pd0g,

Thank you for visiting our forum.

I personally am concern if one of our clients even mention about packet losses. We take our SLA (http://www.fluidhosting.com/sla.php) seriously. At Fluid Hosting, our SLA is not just our promise, it's our commitment.

Please find below answers to your questions.

1. If I owned additional domain names, can I have them point to directories on my main account. Or would I have to start several accounts? These are personal websites that need to have individual domain names.

We offer true multi-domain hosting. Each additional domain name will have its own directory/folder. Furthermore, each domain will have its own SMTP server (mail.domain.com). You do not need to open several accounts to host several domains. However, you will only get one control panels for all of your domains.

Since you represent a web design company, you are eligible to become our resellers. Please take a look at our HSphere reseller plans at http://www.fluidhosting.com/resell/hsphere/. With our bulk reseller plans, you can give your clients his/her own control panel, set your own hosting plans/charges, and many others.

2. Do you support imap, not that important, I always wanted to use imap webmail clients. Will SMTP work with the OS X mail.app

Currently we do not support IMAP. I am not particularly sure what mail app you are using, but it should work fine with our SMTP server.

3. Does your domain manager support use with Mac OS X. The host I'm on now doesn't allow me to use all of the features - even with IE.

I am not sure what you mean by "domain manager". If you mean control panel, then I believe there should be no issue with what OS platform you are using, as long as your browser is up to date and can load our control panel well.

4. Will I be restricted to what php, or cgi scripts I can use?

Please read our Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.fluidhosting.com/aup.php) for any restriction you may have. As long as you follow our AUP, there should be no restriction for what php/cgi scripts you can use/run.

Thank you for your time, and with any luck we'll be doing some business - and I'll have all my clients switch too.

I hope I have addressed your concerns/questions to within your satisfaction. If you still have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us at support[at]fluidhosting.com. We are looking forward to working with you too. Thank you once again for your interest in our service.

FH-John
07-14-2003, 12:45 PM
To answer your questions...

1. Yes, you can host multiple domains with your account. In the feature listings for our plans, they list the number of domains you can host.(Without incurring a surchage.) Our system, can point them to another directory, should you wish.

2. We don't support IMAP at this time, due to load/bandwidth usage. SMTP is a univerisal protocol, OS X mail.app should work just fine. BTW: We do include two Web Mail clients with our accounts.

3. I don't see any reason why our control panel won't work with OS X. Which browser are you using?

4. You can run any PHP/CGI scripts so long as they don't compromise security or cause excessive load.

j33pd0g
07-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the prompt response. This looks like something that will work for me.

The OS X mail app I am using is just called Mail. I just wanted to make sure all I had to do was plug in the mail.example.com, and smtp.example.com info, and that would be fine.

Off to write a letter to my clients... With any hope, they'll follow me in leaving our rude host.

Maybe someone can offer a comparison, as to the services provided by Jumpline.

FH-John
07-14-2003, 02:06 PM
The OS X mail app, should work fine. We use POP-Before-SMTP authentication, which means you'll need to check your e-mail, before you send any e-mail.

I hope we're able to serve you and your clients well. And, that we are able to exceed your expectations.

ronald
07-14-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g

I know what you are talking about...
I'm running OmniWeb 4.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.1.5 and did not encounter any problems at all with the control panel (on the linux^H^H^H^H^HUnix economy plan, don't know if there are any differences in the other plans).

For mail I use Eudora but don't see a reason why Mail.app should not work straight-away (besides if it has problems with "user%domain.com" as the username).

As to the service I can say that it is outstanding in every respect.

Regards,

Ronald

FH-John
07-15-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by ronald
I know what you are talking about...
I'm running OmniWeb 4.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.1.5 and did not encounter any problems at all with the control panel (on the linux economy plan, don't know if there are any differences in the other plans).

To clarify, we do use the same control panel for all shared hosting accounts.

nvphone
07-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Your search for a host should end right here!
Great support and uptime!

jilly
07-16-2003, 09:35 PM
I have been with Fluid Hosting since January 03 and couldn't be more pleased. I have encountered one interruption in seven months which they notified customers of and then offered a credit in accordance with their Service Level Agreement.

I have a few domains and 2 are set up as ecommerce sites which I administer via FP2002. Fluid Hosting for me has been truly Fluid. This includes migrating my sites / domains over from a less stellar hosting provider, adding domains, increasing my storage space and changing "plans" twice as my needs have grown.

Their service / support is nothing short of great, which is hard to find these days.

Also, in addition to having an interest in a few online ventures, I work for one of the largest broadband providers in the US as a Commercial Sales Rep and one of our offerings is hosting. Who do you think I recommend for hosting to my clients? Fluid Hosting, that's who. I would rather see them get the same excellent service that I have become used to vs. paying more for less with the hosting package my employer offers as a convenience. I'd rather NOT get the commission on hosting and see them happy and get a service that offers more value. Also I am confident that my customers will get TIMELY and EFFICIENT support and responses to their inquiries.

In three years, I have had 4 web hosting companies for my domains and Fluid Hosting blows them away BY FAR. Cost, Value, Service, Scaleability, Reliability -- The WHOLE PACKAGE.

I trust them with my sites, which are a big part of my livelihood.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

ComputerBob
07-17-2003, 11:33 PM
I've used many, many web hosts since 1997. I switched to Fluid Hosting's shared Unix hosting several months ago and have been very happy.

ComputerBob's Guide To Web Hosts (http://www.computerbob.com/tech/guide_web_hosts.html) describes the features and services that I look for in a Web host.