PDA

View Full Version : VPS vs shared hosting.

gentlewhisper
12-22-2004, 03:53 AM
First off, I gotta say I love FH!

Totally problem free hosting! However one thing I started wondering about is.. would scripts execute faster on a VPS account compared to a shared account?

FH gives good ping from almost any place I cared to access it with, and for static content it comes up fast too. But I found that running scripts on it does seem to lack a certain "oomph" factor, would VPS be the key?

Thanks!

FH-John
12-22-2004, 04:01 AM
VPS may be faster.

What sort of scripts are you using? Do they utilize a database? If so, which kind? It may be possible resolve the lack of "oomph". :)

gentlewhisper
12-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Flat file databases.. those Perl DBM files :)

FH-John
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Flat files tend to be slower depending on the query nature.

inTELLiGrunt
12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Agreed, depending on the nature, a normailsed relational database is likely to be quicker.

AutomatedOutlet
05-26-2005, 09:22 PM
What about a PHP based ecommerce site? What would you recommend?

I need more speed!

FH-John
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
If you want fast, and at a good price, I'd suggest shared hosting. Our VPS is more geared for those that require more isolation, or tighter resource control.

We have quite a few very happy customers running their ecommerce sites on our shared hosting. In fact I believe most of ecommerce customers are using shared hosting.

AutomatedOutlet
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Hmmm, I'm on a shared hosting right now and it's just not fast enough. Not sure what the issue is.

I was on HostPC. The speed was fine but I couldn't put up with their outages and attitude.

I'm on Verio now and haven't been having the outages but the speed has been slowing down. We're growing rapidly and I really need faster speeds.

I'm really at a loss here. Skibum recommended that I contact you to see if you could help.

Martin Custer
www.AutomatedOutlet.com

FH-John
05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
One advantage our shared hosting has over most of our competition is our use of application specific servers. E.g. we run databases on one set of servers, web sites on another, and e-mail on dedicated machines.

Perhaps if you could give us some stats on your site, such as how many hits per day, etc. we could better recommend a solution.

AutomatedOutlet
05-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Here is some stuff from the Verio Control panel:

Summary: Total page hits: 792,775
Total Bytes Sent: 36,743,572,027
Number of Pages summarized: 98
Number of days spanned: 35

I'll find some more data and post it shortly. The number of days spanned above might be a little misleading because I think we have been on this plan for less than 35 days - about 4 weeks I think.

FH-John
05-27-2005, 04:54 PM
A VPS may be a good option in that case. However, it'd need to be a beefy plan due to the number of hits, and the sites dynamic nature.