PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing plan and server type.

Grumpy
12-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Greetings, this is my first post.
I will just jump in with this quote. Included in the Light plan is support for 3 domains. Beyond that, it's $2/mo each. http://forums.fluidhosting.com/showthread.php?t=922
The quote is a from an answer on this forum that I think is no longer true. I understand that the plan referenced has changed and today comes with hosting one domain prepaid. You can buy more, but there is a maximum of three total. Yes, I need multi-domain hosting. Three domains is probably not good enough, yet I do not need any additional storage and transfer limits for the lot of them. Read on for more details.

Are the UNIX value plans still available?
http://www.fluidhosting.com/comparison.php?os=unix&type=value
For three domains, the UNIX light value plan seems lower cost for light duty hosting while allocation more resources. Further, perhaps the domain cap does not apply.

Another host I am considering only has reseller plans. I would be "reselling" to myself, but I like the feature of that companies plans that domains and sub-domains are no problem.

I would be delighted to hear from others hosted here who may have light hosting needs but yet want/need to juggle several primary domains. More about my requirements follows.

My sites will be informational and / or photographic (image oriented). Starting out they will all be not for profit (no expectation of producing any income). One or two of the sites may become in part supportive of a local oriented service (mine) but I do not foresee Internet commerce there either. I will be my own site designer and webmaster. This will be a learning experience--I have done nothing more then flat HTML (if that flat term implies no script or program generated content is being created). I have never had a need for using databases but as things develop that could happen.

I might have six or more of these micro sites within a year. I need a hosting account that can manage 3 to 6 domains starting out. Why just one account? These are micro sites. There is little potential that just 3 of them are going to generate enough traffic to press even the mini plans here. A year out and 6 of them up? If my webmaster skills grow so that I can design and maintain sites that people like to visit, I might start getting some traffic.

I believe that I have learned how to identify hosts that treat customers well. Joining the WHT forums helped with that. Fluid Hosting has a great reputation at the WHT.

I do not know enough and have not had enough experience to know what I should choose concerning the choice of UNIX, Windows or Linux. I expect that this choice is important. Can you help me know why? Some software packages are on Windows that are not on UNIX. Are any of them packages I would miss? Why do the Windows server plans cost more? I know that Fluid Hosting offers Unix and Windows. I probably would not choose Windows when there is a good alternative.

I look forward to hearing from you.

FH-John
12-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Hello!

Are the UNIX value plans still available?

Yes, our Unix Value plans are still available.

I do not know enough and have not had enough experience to know what I should choose concerning the choice of UNIX, Windows or Linux. I expect that this choice is important. Can you help me know why? Some software packages are on Windows that are not on UNIX. Are any of them packages I would miss? Why do the Windows server plans cost more? I know that Fluid Hosting offers Unix and Windows. I probably would not choose Windows when there is a good alternative.

The biggest difference between Unix plans, and Windows. Windows offers ASP, .NET, and MS SQL which are all Microsoft technologies/products.

Since you are only using straight HTML, our Unix plans would be a better option. You'll get more mileage for your money.

Grumpy
12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Thank you, John for answering my question. I am not surprised by what you wrote concerning Unix compared to Windows servers. It looks like Unix for me.

Concerning choosing which Unix plan, I just posted another thread starter on that. I started composing that message before your response came in here. The action now moves to that thread... :)