PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from previous provider

gtvault
01-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi, I have been using Windows based ColdFusion hosting through a company called CFDynamics for over 3 years. I am re-coding my entire site in a LAMP environment in order to take advantage of lower hosting costs. I was very lucky in choosing my first provider as I've been very satisfied and have not had to jump around like so many other folks. I've done quite a bit of research on PHP/MySQL hosts, and am almost decided on Fluid Hosting shared hosting.

A couple questions:

If not already installed, will you folks install PHP libraries I may need (zlib)?

What are your data backup procedures for MySQL databases?

I am still in the middle of porting my site from ColdFusion to PHP, though I am almost at the point where I will need to use a live host for further testing and shakedown. Can I sign up for shared hosting and defer the transfer of my domain until all programming and testing is complete? During this interim period will you assign me a subdomain off of fluidhosting, or will I need to use the direct IP address of the box?

I also have concerns about switching my domain, gtvault.com, from my current provider. I've read horror stories about domains caught in limbo, so I wanted to get your advice on the correct procedure to provide as seamless a transfer as possible.

Thanks very much for your assistance,
Kerry Shireman

allera
01-11-2005, 12:13 AM
If not already installed, will you folks install PHP libraries I may need (zlib)?
Yes, although most popular modules are already installed.

What are your data backup procedures for MySQL databases?
Mysql databases are backed up nightly, just like all other data. They are stored on a separate backup server and data is kept for at least 7 days.

Can I sign up for shared hosting and defer the transfer of my domain until all programming and testing is complete? During this interim period will you assign me a subdomain off of fluidhosting, or will I need to use the direct IP address of the box?
By default, all domains on the server get an instant alias, which is a subdomain off the fluidhosting.com domain where you can access your site without having to wait for DNS to kick in. It happens to all domains automatically; there is nothing we need to do or enable for it to turn on.

I also have concerns about switching my domain, gtvault.com, from my current provider. I've read horror stories about domains caught in limbo, so I wanted to get your advice on the correct procedure to provide as seamless a transfer as possible.
When you are ready to display your website from our servers, switch your domain's nameservers to ours at your registrar. Approximately 24-48 hours later (sometimes sooner), the site will start pulling data from our server. It is a very painless procedure as long as you don't make typos when switching nameservers.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!