PDA

View Full Version : Shared vs. VPS - speed?

JasonB
03-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I am very interested in signing up for FH's hosting services, after reading several recommendations. I run a small-to-medium community based on PHP and MySQL. What I am not sure is if I should sign up for a shared plan or a VPS plan. All I care for is speed, I don't need the extra functionalities of a root owner. I know VPS is using a fixed proportion of the overall's server capacity, whereas on the shared servers, users share the overall capacity. Since FH's shared servers seem very powerful, it seems to be only a matter of number of users who share the servers. So my question, in other words, which option would provide me the better speed: a shared server by FH with good hardware specs and a relative low number of users sharing the server, or a VPS where the total performance is restricted by my hosting plan?

Thank you for your help,

Jason

FH-John
03-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Jason,

How many posts per day does your forum receive? How many simultaneous visitors on your forum?

We have several shared hosting customers running forums of various sizes, so shared may certainly be a good option.

If you receive a large amount of visitors, then a VPS would be a better option. Our VPS platform allows for resource bursting, which means you can use more than your allocated memory, or CPU for short periods of time.

jwalk
03-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Jason, I can't speak to your shared vs. VBP question, but I will say that I found myself in a similar situation as you. I have a fairly popular weblog. Everything is generated on the fly with PHP/MySQL. My previous host (on a shared server) pulled the plug on me because my site was using too many resources. I've had my VPS account for almost a month. It has occasional slow-downs, but by and large the performance is very good.

I'll probably be switching to a more efficient blogging sofware at some point, and that should also help.

But the best part about Fluid Hosting is their tech support. I've had a few problems with my site. All it takes is a quick email, and these guys jump on it immediately.

FH-John, is there a master list of Fluid Hosting customers' URLs? I think it would be very helpful for potential customers to be able to see some of the sites that you host.

FH-John
03-20-2005, 03:25 PM
jwalk,

Unfortunately we don't have a master list available.

William
03-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Jason, if you can afford it then VPS is the way to go. You get the bursting ability of shared but the stability and guarantees of a dedicated server. I run 3 sites on a VPS. I have close to 30 crons running in the background, most of them running every few minutes pulling in large volumes of data from an external site. All this and I have never had a speed issue. You can't go wrong with FH and the people that run it no matter which choice you make. You can view my newest site here (http://joystickrequired.com/) if you want to judge speed.

JasonB
03-20-2005, 03:46 PM
@john: On average, there are around 60 new posts/day. Around 30-40 (mostly unregistered) users are browsing the board at the same time, which only occasionaly goes up to 100-140 users if other sites link to new articles on my site.

@William: thank you for provding a link to your site running on a VPS. Very helpful!

FH-John
03-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Jason,

In that case I'd recommend a VPS. On our shared hosting we limit users to 40 connections to the shared MySQL server.

inTELLiGrunt
03-20-2005, 04:32 PM
John, are the any other limits we should know about :D

JasonB
03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the information, John. In other words, I could set my own MySQL setting variables in a VPS plan. Beside simply changing the settings, would a VPS also be able, performance-wise, to deal with max_user_connections > 40 ?

Btw, the limit only applies to persistence connections, right? So even if I have more than 40 browsing the forum, unless they are refreshing pages at the same time, it should work fine.

JasonB
03-20-2005, 04:36 PM
John, are the any other limits we should know about :DYou can use the SHOW VARIABLES (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/show-variables.html) syntax to check the settings of your MySQL variables.

inTELLiGrunt
03-20-2005, 04:43 PM
You can use the SHOW VARIABLES (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/show-variables.html) syntax to check the settings of your MySQL variables.

Welcome to the Forum Jason. You'll like it here. :banana:

The question I posted was off topic in as much as it was more general in scope than intended. I wasn't aware of the 40 limit on mysql, and was wondering if there were any other limits, not just mySQL.

BTW. Like the opening question.

FH-John
03-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Jason,

It really depends on the VPS plan. We have customers with forums, and fully dynamic sites handling much more than 150 visitors.

Which package did you have in mind? Our Peer1 SD plans offer quite a bit of power for the money.

FH-John
03-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Btw, the limit only applies to persistence connections, right? So even if I have more than 40 browsing the forum, unless they are refreshing pages at the same time, it should work fine.

Correct, that limitation is on simultaneous connections to the database server.

JasonB
03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
John, thank you for your prompt reply. Can you direct me to the pricing of your peer1 plans? I only see the Internap offers on your frontpage.

FH-John
03-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Jason,

You can find information on our Peer1 plans at: https://www.fluidvps.com/store/index.cgi