PDA

View Full Version : We will no longer support Third Level Domain

FH-Dave
05-07-2005, 07:46 AM
The following email has been sent to all shared hosting customers. Let us know what you think!

Note: Please do not reply to this email directly since your reply may not be attended too. Please direct your concerns/questions to the email listed below.

Dear Valued Customers,

As some of you have known, we have allowed the use of a third level domain with some of our hosting plans. This allows customers to create subdomain names under our fluidhosting.com domain, e.g. something.fluidhosting.com.

This has proven to be not a very good policy of us since the third level domain seems to take precedence over our own already existing A or CNAME record. For example, we have had a case where customer was able to create third level domain forum.fluidhosting.com eventhough we have set up an A record for forum.fluidhosting.com to point to the same IP as forums.fluidhosting.com does. This results in some customers wondering whether our forums.fluidhosting.com was hacked, which is not the case of course.

The use of Third Level Domain may be potentially used for malicious activities. Therefore, we have stopped offering Third Level Domain starting today and we will start auditing accounts having third level domains. In the near future, we will start claiming back all of the third level domains our customers my have used. We will work with customers on this to make sure that customers have enough time to make the change and transition.

This action is necessary to reduce the possible damage from any possible malicious activity. I am sure you will understand and support our new policy. Your co-operation will be highly appreciated.

Should you have any questions and/or concerns, please email us at support[at]fluidhosting.com.

Sincerley,
Administrators
Fluid Hosting, LLC

FH-Dave
05-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Questions from our customers:

Q: Will this affect customers with shared SSL?

Shared SSL uses third level domain off fluidhosting.com domain. However, until we find an alternative for shared SSL naming usage, customers with shared SSL will not be affected. We may in the near future offer our shared SSL under *.ssl.fluidhosting.com or under some domain name other than fluidhosting.com. Until then, we do not guaratee that shared SSL name usage (*.fluidhosting.com). Shared SSL name usage using <account_name>.fluidhosting.com will be allowed, again untili we offer our shared SLL certificate under different domain name/realm.

Q: Does this affect the use of subdomains, e.g. subdomain.mydomain.com

We will still offer subdomains as one of our hosting features. So as long as they are subdomains of your own domain name, you should be OK/all set.

Q: How is it possible for somebody to create a subdomain off other customer domain name?

Customers can not create subdomain off other customers domain. This is simply impossible. In the past, we have allowed new customers to create subdomain off our own domain (fluidhosting.com) with intention to assist customers who does not have any domain when they signup for an account. This policy is what we are revising. We no longer offer third level domain off our fluidhosting.com domain.

dagta
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Dave,
I was going to forums.fluidhosting.com and that is the one that took me to the other site. It now takes me to a control panel.

forum.fluidhosting.com took me to these forums. I have updated my bookmark.

FH-John
05-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi Dagta,

Not sure why forums.fluidhosting.com is loading something different for you. I'm currently using forums.fluidhosting.com, and it's loading just fine.

In fact, I just queried our name servers. And, forums.fluidhosting.com points to the correct IP.

dagta
05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Dagta,

Not sure why forums.fluidhosting.com is loading something different for you. I'm currently using forums.fluidhosting.com, and it's loading just fine.

In fact, I just queried our name servers. And, forums.fluidhosting.com points to the correct IP.
Weird. I have no idea. Maybe my ISP's DNS tables are screwy.

Oh well, I can get here, so no worries.

inTELLiGrunt
05-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Dagta, I had the same thing, it's cleared for me now.

AlexanderT
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Just by accident I stumpled over these site:

http://handlaidtrack.fluidhosting.com/
http://luxeonstar.fluidhosting.com/
http://mundohiphop.fluidhosting.com/

Thought you didn't support 3rd level domains any longer?

FH-Dave
07-01-2005, 07:28 PM
We no longer allow customers to create third level domain. All third level domains created prior to 05/07/2005 will still be available. Also, shared SSL will still require third level domains. In the case of the two URLs you posted above, I believe they are created because of the shared SSL certificate reason.

AlexanderT
07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Ic. Thought you were going to claim them back "in near future". Looks kinda kinky to me to see sexy lingerie (http://lingeriebyscavenge.fluidhosting.com/) and body piercing (http://piercedbodyjewelryshop.fluidhosting.com/) offered from fluidhosting.com ;)

FH-Dave
07-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Not too easy to claim them back .... :(

inTELLiGrunt
07-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Why is it not too easy to claim them back?