PDA

View Full Version : Unix Hosting Questions

bmalek
06-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I am a current FH customer that is using Windows Web Hosting (Windows Deluxe Special), and have a need of Apache hosting with SSH access.

Here is the situation: I am looking to host a statistics site for an online fantasy soccer game (www.hattrick.org). The statistics site is for US teams only (Hattrick is played by 500,000 users in many countries) and can currently be seen at http://usa.hatstats.info. Because it is running slow I asked the developers of that site what would be needed to host the USA stats on a different server. Here are the requirements (copy/paste from an email I received from him), my comments in italics:
Database - is MySQL and is currently 400MB in size (uses alot of indexes, but they will be optimised at some stage). If you want to expand to Div 6 then it will get very big. (Note I will probably want to do this.)

Diskspace - Database size + 200MB minimum (match cache and logs)

Memory - more the better, at least 500MB

Apache, perl, php

Past usage can be seen here:
http://www.hatstats.info/usage2/usa/

I do not want to switch out of my Windows hosting (I need it for ASP.NET for school projects), but may be interested in getting Unix hosting from you to host this site. The hosting plan I have right now was purchased as a special since I am a student and I don't use much of any bandwidth (way under 1 GB a month, you can see stats for webbsm.com and htmume.net), but I needed a reliable host due to needing to make sure the sites were available for school projects. I want this site to be just as reliable.

What would you recommend? Do you offer any discounts to customers who have both hosting plans?

Thanks,
Brian Malek

William
06-05-2005, 01:00 PM
You're going to need a VPS account for that. Maybe even a dedicated server.

FH-John
06-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Brian,

I'm going to vote dedicated server on this one. That looks to be very heavy on DB, and would likely crush a VPS alive.

bmalek
06-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Hrm... I wasn't thinking about the database size, just about the bandwidth usage (which really isn't that much by comparison). I will have to look around and may also post the same question over at WHT and see what the overall consensus is. I wasn't really looking to spend that much (what would be required for a dedicated server).

Thanks for the quick responses.

Brian

FH-Dave
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Hm, I am not sure why Dedicated Server is needed. Correct me if I am wrong, but from the stats it seems you are only pushing several hundreds of MB worth of data monthly. So even though your database is large, it does not seem to be doing tons of queries. Perhaps the more important stats you need to get is how active your database is. How much queries do you do per second.

I would say VPS is sufficient. Shared hosting may even be sufficient. However, our shared hosting does not allow remote MySQL/PgSQL connection. If that's needed, than you may be needing VPS.

bmalek
06-05-2005, 11:33 PM
If you mean by remote connections having the program on another host and the DB on your host, that isn't a problem as I would be hosting the DB and the program. At least I think so!

Twice a week the queries are many (late Sunday and Wednesday to update the databases, there would be thousands of queries each night I believe, I will try to get the numbers), the rest of the time the queries are only from people visiting the site (as it is fully dynamic) so there are not many.

AlexanderT
06-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Twice a week the queries are many (late Sunday and Wednesday to update the databases, there would be thousands of queries each night I believe, I will try to get the numbers)
Sounds like a VPN plan to me. Give them a try, I've heard only good things about VPN at FH.

bmalek
06-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I am waiting to get a reply from the owner of the site about the number of db queries. Sunday nights I am pretty sure the amounts would be in the thousands, however only once or twice per 16 weeks would the updates on Wednesday be as large. This is going to strain the CPU and memory usage, but I don't know how badly.