PDA

View Full Version : Traffic allowances

Unregistered
07-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Hello everyone,

I am interested in hosting one of my sites with Fluidhosting. The Unix plans look fine to me, except for one point that require some clarification: Traffic allowances. I understand that Fluidhosting offers premium bandwidth (Internap) and henceforth can charge a premium on traffic. Yet, I cannot get rid of the feeling that monthly data transfer falls short of all other offerings by Fluidhosting. Is 25GB for the "advanced" plan still opportune, nowadays?

Competitors (for the better or worse) often start with that number and go up to the hundreds of GB with in their more advanced plans.

Besides, I read in the Fluidhosting forum that while Internap bandwidth is great, it is not necessary always the best. Which is why, as I understood, the Fluidhosting team is working on offering hosting from a new datacenter (Equinix peer1). Is bandwidth from this datacenter worse than Internap's? Are you going to raise traffic allowances or even reduce them?

Thank you for your help,

Jason

FH-John
07-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Jason,

At the new datacenter, we're offering both Internap and our premium mix. Internap offers very good performance to most all locations, while other providers may offer great performance to some, and OK to others.

As for plan changes, that I don't have any information about. That would be something my manager could address.

inTELLiGrunt
07-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Don't tell me conjestion charging is in the pipeline :( :D (UK joke).

Unregistered
07-24-2005, 06:42 AM
I am curious to see the results of the premium mix you are working on, John. Any ETA?

If you could be so kind and ask your manager if and when he intends to upgrade the plans (I assume the existing plans were made a longer time ago).

Like I said, for my purposes (and I assume many others as well), the feature set of the plans look good, except for monthly traffic. Thanks to newer Internet trends, such as podcasts, traffic demand has increased dramatically within a short time. For example: I publish 5-6 personal podcasts a month with an average podcast filesize of 10-15Mb. Obviously, even if only 50 people download each podcast, the traffic due to podcasts alone in this math example would amount to 3-5GB. I'd be happy to immediately sign up with Fluidhosting for all features offered (H-Sphere is great, disk space is good, number of domains is good, etc.), if traffic allowances were brought up to date.

Regards,
Jason

FH-John
07-24-2005, 04:59 PM
I've sent a note to my manager asking him to take a look at this thread.

Unregistered
07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
John, if you got the chance, could you send me an e-mail with what you could find out from your manager? I'd appreciate it! -> jason DOT baumer AT gmail DOT com

Jason

FH-John
07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Jason,

Sure, I can do that.

FH-Dave
07-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Jason,

Thank you for your interest in our service. We will be releasing new plans within few weeks. The new plans will include more disk space and bandwidth. New customers will automatically be signing up for the new plans whereas old customers have the option to stay on the old plans or upgrade to the new plans.

Having said so, I do not intend to bundle any of our plan with hundreds of GB of transfer for one good reason. More traffic does usually translate to more resources/stress on the server. And under shared hosting environment, we need to have a balance of server performance/stability and total traffic on the server. Sure, some other hosts will offer a plan with hundreds of GB of traffic. But more certainly you will face one of the followings:
1. The offer is gimmicks, you cant really use your allocated transfer. They will shut your account down because your account is stressing the server.
2. The server is not as reliable or performing as fast as it could have been, applications crashing, slow response, etc. Understandable due to customers fighting for resources in the server.
3. Cheap bandwidth/low quality bandwidth provider.
4. Cheap infrastructure (cheap servers, equipments, etc).

There is a good reason why our customers are happy with us. We rarely have any service outage. Our servers just work and this is because we try to be conservative with our plans.

If you are looking for hundreds of GB of traffic/month, I would suggest a Virtual Private Server (VPS). With VPS, all account will have their own guaranteed memory resources. And furthermore, we do make sure that we do not oversell our resources. Thus, the VPS host server can handle more traffic per VPS account. You can learn more about our VPS at http://www.fluidhosting.com/vps/.

I am not sure how much monthly transfer you really need. But from your description, you do not need hundreds of GB per month. And thus, comparing us with some other hosts who does offer hundreds of GB per month may not be the best to do. I would suggest you to find a proven and reliable company and start with the smallest plan they have and see if that fits your needs rather than getting a plan with hundreds of GB but you may not be able to use all your traffic allocation at the end or have your websites be crawling most of the time.

Thank you once again for your interest.

William
07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
It has always been my experience that the more b/w they offer, the worse service I will get.

Plus, it really matters how they measure the banwidth usage.;)

I was using about 50 - 60 GB a month at my old host (more than two years ago now) I set up the same sites here and it went down to 15 GB. you figure it out. If you register for the forums you will find that most of us have been here for some time. And there is a very good reason for that.

Unregistered
07-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Thank you Dave for explaning to me the philosophy behind Fluidhosting. I understand now that one must not compare a cheap provider with cheap bandwidth and cheap hardware to an established premium provider such as Fluidhosting, without forgetting the caveats of such a comparison.

While I don't require more than 200-300Mb total disk space, my monthly bandwidth requirements are around 20-25MB (mostly due to Podcasts on my pesonal blog). I don't think a VPS would justify. With the current bandwidth, I would have to sign up for the "Advanced" plan and use it to the max, or even go with the "Deluxe" plan to have some safety cushion (I see Podcasts are getting more popular every day). Both plans are probably overkill in regards to the other features offered (I only have two sites on one domain each).

I will wait the couple of more weeks you mentioned to see how you adjust the plans. I am pretty confident with FH which is also why I keep on returning!

Regards,
Jason

Unregistered
07-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Make 20-25Mb into 20-25Gb. Sorry 'bout that.

FH-Dave
07-27-2005, 01:02 PM
It has always been my experience that the more b/w they offer, the worse service I will get.

Is that "they" refer to us? :eek3:

William
07-27-2005, 10:22 PM
No silly, that's those guys. You know, them over there. *points at all the cheap hosts that make promises they won't keep* :D

William
07-27-2005, 10:28 PM
hmm, maybe I should word that better. :D

Ah, but you have editing turned off. :(