PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth allocation/quota

Unregistered
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
From the FAQ we get:
1.8. What happens if I exceed my data transfer limit?
Any data transfer in excess of plan threshold will be charged at the end of the billing period.
Is there any way for a Unix host customer to throttle this? I don't want to pay thousands just because someone posts a link to my site on slashdot ;)

FH-John
08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
We do have mod_throttle, which can be configured from within H-Sphere. That can help limit bandwidth usage.

Unregistered
08-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that!

OK, next stupid question. How do I configure it to cap image requests?

I've found it under ControlPanel/DomainSettings/ThrottlePolicy, but how do I set that to limit all JPG files once I've used (say) 85% of my bandwidth quota for the month? Is that possible?

If not, what settings would you recommend? Basically since my site doesn't make money I want to restrict the amount of damage it can do to my bank account ;)

FH-John
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure exactly how to go about setting that up. I'll certainly try some settings, and see what I can come up with.

In the mean time, here's a link to the mod_throttle docs, http://www.snert.com/Software/mod_throttle/

FH-John
08-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I can't seem to get mod_throttle to work in a .htaccess file. So, per directory limits aren't going to be possible.

Unregistered
08-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all your help so far John, it's appreciated :)

I'll have a look at the mod-throttle docs you linked, and see what I can mangle...