PDA

View Full Version : Shared hosting questions

Unregistered
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
I think I know the answer to most of these from the site already, but juts to confirm:

1) Webmail and IMAP are important to me. Do you have Horde as a webmail client, and can I use my IMAP client (pegasus mail)?

2) I want to be able to access my webmail through https (Secured). Do I need to pay for a shared SSL license? This will be the only reason I want ssl for.

3) Can I install other packages/scripts to my shared host and install it? I am familiar with ftp, telnet, basic unix shell stuff. How difficult would it be for me to install something like invision?

4) I see there are 2 mysql databases and 2 postgre databases available for the cheapest account. Do the packages like phpNuke, invision, phpbb, wiki, etc, give you a choice of databases, mysql or postgre?

Thanks!

FH-John
08-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Hello!

1) We do have Horde setup as the primary webmail client. As well, you may use any IMAP client you wish to use.

2) Webmail is accessable via SSL at no additional charge. Just connect via https://mailX.fluidhosting.com/ (Where X is the number of mail server you are assigned to.)

3) You are free to install software within your account, so long as it doesn't violate our TOS, or AUP. As for installing "invision" I'm not familiar with it, so I don't know how difficult it would be to setup.

4) Some software lets you choose which database type to use. Others, only let support one or the other.

Unregistered
08-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Is mod_perl available yet? There's a faq that says no, but it might be a couple years old (copyright 2003)?

FH-John
08-18-2005, 05:47 PM
We don't offer mod_perl on shared hosting. The module isn't really geared towards shared hosting anyway.

If mod_perl is a must, our VPS offering does include it.

Unregistered
08-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry, another question. Where is the list of scripts that are ready to go that can be activated from the control panel? I know I saw it somewhere but I can't find it anymore.... Is phpNuke on it? just point me to a url... thanks

FH-John
08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Via the control panel, you can install the following:

mnogoSearch
phpBB2
FormMail
Chat
Guest Book
Counter

jhpark
08-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Hello, this is the OP again... Just registered this time.

I'm seriously considering signing up. At the moment I use my domain mainly for email, but I always intend to (finally) get a web page up. I'd probably use some script packages not available by default, so I'd be doing my own installations, so that should be interesting.

Anyway, some more questions. I promise I'm only this annoying when I first start a project, then I won't be so bad. :)

1) When do new plans come out? I think I saw a post in July saying that it'd be in a few weeks.

2) Are you still offering the value plans?

3) How much of a speed difference am I likely to see between the premier and the value plans? Actually, I'm mainly concerned about the performance of my imap connection right now, which ought to be trivial, but somehow my current host fluctuates between nearly instantaneous access to my mail folders and having to wait for about 30 seconds before a folder opens. (This gets annoying real fast)

4) if you're still offering the value plan, would it be difficult to either switch between the two so I can look at the difference, or is there a dummy account I can try out in both servers?

5) One thing I'm looking for is SSH access. I see there was an incident with someone being denied SSH and raising a stink about it. I've only found one good reason to get it (a page saying that performance backing up a database via the control panel can be really bad and you're better off doing it from the command line), but I'm the kind of person who wants the flexibility of a shell and yet is too lazy to actually install it on his own desktop. Umm... Yeah. So Basically I'm wondering whether you are going to totally lock down ssh for new customers or if it'll be a possibility in future.

And if I ever design a web page, actually get traffic and have a database that needs to be backed up, and it's large enough that it doesn't work through a control panel, and I don't have ssh access, will one of your support techs be willing to run the backup process for me if I can't setup a cron job to do it for me? :)

There are so many ifs that may never happen that I'm not sure why I'm even asking, but like I said, I only ever ask this many questions at the beginning. Really!

6) I'll be keeping my domain name registration elsewhere, and I seem to recall reading something here about using a different mx setting than the nameservers.... And to open a ticket to get details on that. Is that true, or did I run into that either on a different site or something?

Many thanks!

FH-John
08-20-2005, 03:50 PM
1) When do new plans come out? I think I saw a post in July saying that it'd be in a few weeks.

I'm not sure when the new plans will be released. I'll have to ask my manager about that.

2) Are you still offering the value plans?

We have discontinued offering the value plans.

3) How much of a speed difference am I likely to see between the premier and the value plans? Actually, I'm mainly concerned about the performance of my imap connection right now, which ought to be trivial, but somehow my current host fluctuates between nearly instantaneous access to my mail folders and having to wait for about 30 seconds before a folder opens. (This gets annoying real fast)

In my experience, you'll be quite pleased with the IMAP service we offer. I, and all of our staff use it for a number of e-mail accounts, and find that the performance is very good.

5) One thing I'm looking for is SSH access. I see there was an incident with someone being denied SSH and raising a stink about it. I've only found one good reason to get it (a page saying that performance backing up a database via the control panel can be really bad and you're better off doing it from the command line), but I'm the kind of person who wants the flexibility of a shell and yet is too lazy to actually install it on his own desktop. Umm... Yeah. So Basically I'm wondering whether you are going to totally lock down ssh for new customers or if it'll be a possibility in future.

In cases where we deny SSH access, we'll offer to handle performing backup/archive, database import, etc.

6) I'll be keeping my domain name registration elsewhere, and I seem to recall reading something here about using a different mx setting than the nameservers.... And to open a ticket to get details on that. Is that true, or did I run into that either on a different site or something?

Unlike much of our competition, we have dedicated mail servers. Thus, the MX record for the domain doesn't point to the same server as the website is hosted on.

jhpark
08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Hehe.... I'm scared and impressed at how quickly you're answering my questions. :)

Ok, this last one is a sales question. I'm pretty sure I want to sign up, but I don't want to lock myself in for along time and find out a better plan for my needs will come out in a couple weeks... So if I buy something now, can I shift over to a new plan if I like one better? Like, use the amount I paid as a credit to one of the new plans?

Thanks!

FH-John
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Certainly. When a plan upgrade is requested, any remaining credit will be applied to the new plan.