PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this here? My homemade email tracking system

Unregistered
08-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Hello,

I'd like to build a website that does email tracking for the consumers, similar to readnotify dot com. It basically lets you know if the email you sent out has been read by the recipient. Nothing illegal or violates any privacy law.

The way it works is that the sender would add my domain name as an extension to the recipient's email address. For example, if you wanted to send an email to john@aol.com, you would write john@aol.com.mydomain.com instead. So the email would go to mydomain.com first and my program would then add the tracking code into the email before sending it out to the recipient. When the recipient opens the email, my program would know and send the notice to the sender.

It seems the readnotify system works on plain-text email also, not just html.

I don't know how to program all this yet, but would it be possible to do this kind of things on Fluid Hosting?

Could I receive all emails addressed to *@*.mydomain.com? I think this thing is called "catch-all subdomain email".

Thanks.

FH-John
08-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Hello!

Our mail system doesn't support wild card subdomains. It may be possible to implement such a thing on a VPS, however I don't know how you'd go about doing it.