PDA

View Full Version : Uptime and other questions

mossin
10-14-2005, 01:36 PM
We've been a customer for a few years, and overall the experience has been good. I have to 100 percent agree with all others regarding the responsiveness and expertise of the support - outstanding.

I do have a few doubts though:
1 - uptime. something here and there seems to go down, it seems every week. Like right now I have no mail service, for the second time this week. Last week it was vps or billing confusion, the week before it could have been SSH or sql, or some other thing. I seem to remember some 99.99% uptime guarantee words or some such - does the reality really add up?
2 - the constant upgrades, again seems like every weekend: is it really necessary to install every incremental upgrade of every software, if it brings customers' sites down, or screws up my FTP privileges, or terminates some processes? Maybe it is, I'm not an expert

Summary: Fluidhosting is a solid choice, the Fluid guys are great, but I have a strong feeling they are stretched thin and overworked, this is what I blame most problems on.

Trip
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi mossin, glad you like FH, too! Allow me to nitpick, if I may, to perhaps help clarify some of your concerns before the FH guys see this and can respond in better detail....uptime. something here and there seems to go down, it seems every week. Like right now I have no mail service, for the second time this week. Last week it was vps or billing confusion, the week before it could have been SSH or sql, or some other thing."The week before it could have been," or "the week before it was?" Are you sure your SSH or sql was down? I am a shared customer on web3, and everything has been working flawlessly for me. :confused:I seem to remember some 99.99% uptime guarantee words or some such - does the reality really add up? According to the FH's SLA (http://fluidhosting.com/sla.php), it's 99.9% uptime, and my uptime tracker tells me they have delivered more that every single month for the last ten months in a row, at least on web3, my server. You're paying for 99.9%, not 99.99%. There is a signicant difference. .1% downtime per month equates to about 40 minutes, .01% equates to about 4 minutes. If you're looking for 4 of fewer minutes of downtimer per month, I think you might need to look elsewhere and be prepared to spend a lot more money.the constant upgrades, again seems like every weekend: is it really necessary to install every incremental upgrade of every software, if it brings customers' sites down, or screws up my FTP privileges, or terminates some processes? Maybe it is, I'm not an expertUnfortunately, yes, it usually is, as most of the releases/patches involved with new kernels, etc. are security-related. Without small bits of downtime for preventative measures now, you might pay very large consequences later. It may or may not happen, but are you willing to take that chance?...It's nice to know the FH guys stay on top of those things, in my opinion.I have a strong feeling they are stretched thin and overworked, this is what I blame most problems on.Problems are usually avoided by careful planning and constant monitoring. While I do agree that the guys appear overworked at times, they key there is that they are still working, and in doing so, still monitoring our servers. So I can't agree that most of the problems stem from them working well beyond their means. In fact, I would have to think the opposite, that if they didn't volunteer that extra time and effort, we might see more problems than we do.

Plus, you also have to remember that FH operates all their support in-house, with no outsourcing, so it inherently takes more time and resources than it would if they were to have support handled externally. And outsourcing tends to generate issues all on its own, due to the inherent seperation of management. I think that we're lucky to have in-house support, and it's one of the reasons why I chose FH.

Trip