PDA

View Full Version : VPS - Mail Severs and BlackLists

Unregistered
02-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I am looking for a new VPS account. The main reason has to do w/ uptime and EMail. Seems the mail server is a shared server and occisionaly gets blacklisted.

I have sme clients as well as host some clients whom deal with fairly strict security/spam flagging compaines .

I need a way to make sure if I choose Fluidhosting.com for our accounts we will not be blacklisted, unless of course be do it ourselves.

As it seems more and more companies are using these blacklist db's and bouncing more and more legit messages.

FH-Dave
02-27-2006, 07:24 PM
When you say about black listing, which black list do you have in mind. We have a system in place (since about 6 weeks ago) which will make sure that the IP used to send mails will not be blacklisted in any major RBLs (e.g. spamhaus, spamcop, etc) and the IP used to accept incoming mails will never be listed in any blacklist. This way, all emails sent from the mail server will be sent from an unlisted IP and all emails sent to our mail servers will be sent to an unlisted IP as well.

This system has been working quite well and so far I have yet to see our mail servers IPs blacklisted in any RBLs and the IPs used to send emails blacklisted in any RBLs for longer than 5 minutes.

But you are certainly welcome to use the VPS as your dedicated mail server. You can still use the shared hosting to serve your web pages and databases and use the VPS only for your mail server. To learn more about our VPS, please visit https://www.fluidvps.com/.

Unregistered
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
FH-Dave...

Thank you for the prompt response.

Here is a commonly used search:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=204.14.90.11

Even though it is recommended that you don't use SPEWS and other "bad" blacklists such as this. Some companies do.

Hopefully your system will prevent such being listed. But one of my current providers says the also have similar policies in place and yet I am sent them quite a few e-mail in regards to this issue. Seems good for a week, then gets listed for whatever reason, and then they get removed and then back again.

Fine if can get removed in 5mins, but once it's listed the sender of the e-mail already gets the bounceback and simply just failed or not received message that no ones knows anything about.

Thank you again for the reply.

FH-Dave
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Fine if can get removed in 5mins, but once it's listed the sender of the e-mail already gets the bounceback and simply just failed or not received message that no ones knows anything about.

The trick is to not use the mail server IP to send emails. All of the emails sent from our mail servers are sent from different IPs than the mail server IP (204.14.90.11 in this case). This way, the mail server IP should never be listed in any RBLs (of course unless if they decide to block the whole /24).

Again, if you worry about our mail server be listed, then the VPS is a good solution for you. Only you use the IP and thus, only you will be responsible for whether an IP is listed or not.

Unregistered
02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
FH-Dave

Again thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes VPS is what we are interested in. Just trying not to run into the same issues if we switch and then saying "oh well buy a dedicated sendmail server for $79.95" like the other company says, now, after say all will be ok and not blacklisted.

Thanks again Dave!