PDA

View Full Version : Email transit times

Unregistered
09-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Hello, I am considering changing hosts, and one of the main reasons is that I have been experiencing the following situation with my current host: often someone will send me a time-sensitive email, and it will takes sometimes more than an hour for it to appear on my email server (I know this because my email client automatically checks every two minutes for new mail). The current host uses something called netmail.registeredsite for incoming emails. Have there been reports of similar delays with fuild, and do you handle your own email, or do you use a service like registeredsite? (I have to admit, I am not sure what registeredsite is, but it appears to be an outside service retained by my host....)

FH-John
09-11-2003, 04:03 PM
We operate our own mail servers, which are seperate from our web servers.

Our mail server is usually very fast. I just send myself a test message from my ISP account, to my work address. The total delivery time was under 1 minute.

Hopefully, that answers your question.

Graeme
09-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Have you looked at the VPS option? That would allow you to run your own mail server therefore you would only be delayed by your own mail and nobody elses. I realise you might not want the responsibilities of running your own server though. :)

Graeme