PDA

View Full Version : Review of Fluidhosting

Richard
09-19-2003, 04:41 PM
About Me
I work as a free-lance web-designer/developer, and I currently have two VPS' with Fluid. I use them primarily for testing, experimenting, and learning, as well as hosting a few small personal sites. I find that for these types of uses a VPS is perfect. As I become more experienced in linux admin I will be migrating my clients to VPS accounts here. I signed up to Fluidhosting on June 20, 2003, so this is a review based on 3 months' experience.

Prompt and Friendly
While I haven't had cause to really test their support/contact system, I can say that on the few occasions when I have needed them, they have been there with quick and friendly responses. Issues were resolved without any undue delays or "complications".

In fact one of the reasons I chose Fluid was because my initial contact with them left me with a positive feeling - Dave was very approachable and took the time to respond to my pre-sales questions in more detail than I expected. I've come across a lot of service providers who are loathe to disclose any information regarding their business, their practices and policies, and the equipment and facilities they run their business on.

Dedicated and Professional
To date, my impression of Fluidhosting, or specifically the people behind Fluidhosting, is that they are very devoted, dedicated, and professional. In the past I've dealt with people who start a business with very short-sighted motives, ie. make as much money as fast as you can and get out. Still others choose an area of work not because they are interested in it, but because there is a lot of money to be made.

The people at Fluidhosting seem very dedicated and interested in what they are doing, and to the growth and longevity of their business; to me that means a lot more than who has the cheapest prices, the most traffic allowance (how many people really need 1000GB a month?) etc. (actually Fluid's prices are very competitive in my opinion).

Network and Infrastructure
All I can really say about the network is "Fast, Solid, Reliable". Located in a quality datacenter in Boston close to metropolitan hubs like Detroit, Chicago, New York, and of course Toronto Canada, which is where I'm located. For people who place a lot of weight on ping times and traceroutes, I get 37-44ms from my office to Fluid, which is more than acceptable for me - I could run gameservers with pings like that :)

The VPS' have been very fast and reliable - I'm actually surprised at how solid they are, at least for my purposes. Installing software from source is very fast, and the level of isolation from other VPS' on the same hardware is very effective - not just hype.

Fluid runs their VPS' on the HSPComplete/Virtuozzo system, and if you do a little research you will find that it is a very well-respected system for server virtualization. Other open-source options don't instill the same level of confidence in me. I've heard from outside sources that Redhat 9 is on the way from HSPComplete, so I look forward to that in the future.

The Forum
For more info on Fluid, all you have to do is peruse this forum, which is full of friendly and helpful people; it's rapidly becoming a valuable asset to both Fluidhosting and their clients.

Well that's it for now -- I'll update this thread in another 3 months.

adul
10-03-2003, 01:12 AM
I couldn't agree more with your comments. Though I tend to bug dave adn jim a lot, it is normally for chatting and nothing really related to anything that is wrong. Come to think of it I think I have been with FH for a year now.