PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a new host

Loco
08-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking about using you guys..
I would like to get a VPS and have several questions..
I'll add them as we go, but lets start with

do you support Zend ? and do you accept paypal

what version MySQL and PHP will be installed..

with a VPS is there anything I'll need to do ? will I have to reboot or edit the server at all ?

thank you,
-Brandon

William
08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes
Yes
Whatever you want

Depends on what you want to do. Not normally

I'm just a client so I am sure the great guys here will be along shortly to refine the answers.

Loco
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
okay, well I'm looking over this closely

http://www.fluidhosting.com/vps/pricing.php

plus, posting it so i know where it's at..

I still have some time with my current host, but if they keep making my site lag I may just take it as a lose :(

FH-John
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
do you support Zend ? and do you accept paypal

You can install Zend either via the control panel, or manually. As for Paypal, we do accept it.

what version MySQL and PHP will be installed..

The version depends on which CentOS release you choose to have your VPS provisioned with.

CentOS 4.2: MySQL 4.1.12, PHP 4.3.9
CentOS 4.0 x64: MySQL 4.1.12, PHP 4.3.9
CentOS 3.5: MySQL 3.23.58, PHP 4.3.2

You are of course welcome to upgrade them to whatever version you'd like.

with a VPS is there anything I'll need to do ? will I have to reboot or edit the server at all ?

You will need to do some basic server maintenance, such as checking the logs periodically, and checking for unusual activity. As for rebooting it, you shouldn't have to.

Loco
08-31-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm considering using the "Compact" vps package,,
as for zend and php, can I buy this package with both of these upgraded ? or installed ?

thanks

FH-Dave
08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Loco,

You can order the applications during signup, then once the VPS is activated, simply email us at support [at[] fluidhosting.com and let us know what versions you would like these applications be upgraded to.

Thank you!

Loco
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm just a bit nervious about getting a vps :|

these updates cost more ?

FH-Dave
08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
We offer our VPS as a semi managed solution. Though we are more than happy to assist our customer with server administration, we do expect our customer to be able to manage the VPS themselves. You can have us help you manage the server at the cost of $75/hour billable in 15 minutes increment or simply pre-pruchase for the adminisatrion hours at a much reduced rate of $30/hour.

Having said this, we usually perform MySQL, Apache, PHP, Zend and other common applications for free. So, no, you won't get charge for upgrading these applications :)

Loco
09-02-2006, 01:24 AM
okay, well i have one other host that I'm thinking of also, so during the next few days I'll be comparing which one will be best for me :)
is there a discount for paying yearly ? or 3/6 months at a time ?
thanks

Skibum
09-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Hey Loco

If it helps (coming from an existing customer) you will not be able to find a better, more responsive host than Fluidhosting. I've been here since the beginning and would not consider leaving.

FH-Dave
09-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Loco,

Yes there is a 10%, 15%, 20%, and 30% discount for quaterly, semi-annually, annually, and bienially prepyment respectively. If there is anything we can do to make your decision easy, don't hesitate to let us know :)

Loco
09-06-2006, 11:48 AM
okay, more questions ( your starting to sell me ; )

I have one rather large vb site that I'll be moving
I don't think they have cPanel now with the backup option, and the database if going to be several hundred MG large,, is this going to be an issue uploading or adding the DB to the new host ?

FH-Dave
09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
There should not be a problem especially if you can get the database dump. Once you obtain the dump file, simply upload to your VPS (via FTP, etc) and we can make sure it's upload to your database.

If your current host allow remote connection to their mysql database, then the process is much simpler. We can simply directly create a dump of your current database removely and upload it to your mysql database on our server.

Loco
09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
okay, sounds good to me :)

another question.. I asked b4 if you take paypal and you said no :(
So I assume you take credit card,, now, I don't want an automatic change to ever be made, I keep good track of my credit and will make my monthly, quarterly or yearly payments,, but I don't want automatic payments to be taken out of my credit card..
Is this going to be an issue ?

thank you

oh. my bad, you do take paypal.. great :D

the same question applies to it then, about automatic billing..

thank you

FH-Dave
09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Loco,

Yes, we do take paypal payment. 14 days prior to your renewal date, a renewal invoice will be automatically generated for you. You can take send your paypal payment and we will credit the payment manually. You can also create paypal subscription to make sure that the payment is sent automatically using your paypal account. However, you may still need to contact billing to make sure the paypal payment is credited to your account. The only way automatic billing can be done is if you use credit card.

Of course, paying with longer billing term (e.g. anually) will reduce the complexity, and furthermore, you gets prepayment discount as well.

Let us know if you have any further questions/concerns. Thank you.

Loco
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
yup, I have a few more questions, Then I think I'll sign up..

I see for WHM it cost extra :(

If I don't buy WHM too, how can I add more sites with there own cpanel ?

btw, you misunderstood my question, I asked that I didn't want automatic payments,, but you answered my question anyways. :p

also, whats williams referral link ? he is who told me about you guys and I'd like him to get credit if I do buy..

thank you
-Loco

FH-Dave
09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Loco,

Upon signup, you can choose to install System Administrator Control Panel, Workgroup Control panel and My Control Panel applications. These applications (what we called HSPComplete Control Panel) are the native control panel for Virtuozzo VPS. With HSPC CP, you can basically do pretty much anything: add/delete websites, add/delete user, add/delete databases, and so on. This HSPC CP is free as well.

CPanel/WHM is a heavier control panel. You will only need to install this if you want to resell your VPS disk space and you want different people to have access to their own separate domains. If all of the domains are owned by you, then there is not much reason to install CPanel/WHM especially since it needs additional server resources.

We don't have referral link, but we do give referral credit for customers who refer their friends/families/colleagues to us. We will make sure William will receive his credit :)

Thank you!

Loco
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
okay, sounds good :)
as for the sites I'm hosting, most are mine and some are friends who don't need cpanels.. but some of the sites, ( mine and friends ) have email@site.com emails.. will I still be able to give each site a cpanel ( if needed ) so they can use their established emails ?

thank you, and thx for giving William the credit if I do buy, he's a nice guy :)
-Brandon

FH-Dave
09-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately, CPanel/WHM (or any control panel for this matter) is one or none. You can't install CPanel only for select domains.

It does not seem your friends will need a full fledge control panel. You can create the mailboxes for each of your friends. Then your friends can use webmail to check their mails.

Loco
09-06-2006, 09:18 PM
okay, do you have a demo or screen shot of what this would look like ? would there be any type of stats for each site too ?

thanks

FH-John
09-06-2006, 09:57 PM
We don't have our own Demo of the VPS control panel. However, it's developer does have a demo on their website. You may access it at, http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/hspcomplete/demo/, and choose "Virtuozzo VPS Customer Control Panel".

As for stats, we do have templates for AWStats, which when installed will be setup for each domain.

Loco
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
awstats is good for me,, and thank you for the demo link.. This looks like it will work great for me :)

one more question, I have many sites with subdomains like http://forum.vbulletinsetup.com
I assume these will be easy to setup as well ? I'm just use to cPanel
thanks

btw, thats my new site, and the main reason I want a quality VPS :)

FH-John
09-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Setting up subdomains is easy, the process is the same as adding a new domain/site to the VPS. The control panel handles the whole process.

Loco
09-09-2006, 01:57 PM
well, I don't think I have anymore questions :D

I'll sign up sometime within the next 3 days hopefully..

once I sign up, will I be able to start transferring my sites over right away ? or is there a activation processes ?

thanks for the help guys,, I really like the fact that you guys have a support Forum and not just a email system like all host I've used in the past. :)

FH-John
09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
All sign-ups are manually activated, so there will be a delay between when you sign-up, and when your VPS is activated.

Loco
09-09-2006, 05:50 PM
okay, then I'll signup tonight, and hopefully be able to start switching sites toamrrow :)

Loco
09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
well i tried to sign up that night, but the sign up page was messing up for me :(

anyways, I need to save or make some more $ b4 I can afford to spend 45$ a month on a host :(

I'll keep u guys in mind though

theOG
09-13-2006, 02:39 AM
well i tried to sign up that night, but the sign up page was messing up for me :(

anyways, I need to save or make some more $ b4 I can afford to spend 45$ a month on a host :(

Why would you ask 1 billon questions and then say you can't afford the host? :dunno:

Please ensure you have your ducks in a row before you start asking questions.... at least know what plans you are looking at, to ensure you can afford them....

pingme
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
May be you can for a shared hosting plan and then go to VPS when you have enough $$ :)

William
09-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Why would you ask 1 billon questions and then say you can't afford the host? :dunno:

Please ensure you have your ducks in a row before you start asking questions.... at least know what plans you are looking at, to ensure you can afford them....

Is it a crime now to do research and ask questions?

theOG
09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Is it a crime now to do research and ask questions?

I think if you read my post, I said ensure you can at least afford the plans.

It would be like me going up and asking a bunch of questions about a $100,000 car. Why waste the company’s time? I could see if the features did not match what I need… then again, maybe he/she will be back next month with some money… dunno….

No crime, I am just an insensitive jerk. I do not think anyone ever accused me of being sensitive…

Sorry if I offended you there will…

Loco
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM

A billion ? try 10 questions..

Please don't reply to my threads is your going to carry on this tone..

I don't believe I've wasted any ones time with my questions..

also, it's not that I can't afford the $, but I want to make a little more so I can buy in bulk ;)

Thank you to the staff that has answered me, one thing that I'm hesitant about is the RAM, I'd like to have about 1 gig,, can that be added to the vps plan ?

thank you

FH-Dave
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
We are here to answer everybody's questions :) When you are ready to signup, we will sure be here as well! :)

The compact VPS comes with 128 MB of guaranteed memory, burstable to 512 MB. The Medium VPS comes with 256 MB of guaranteed memory burstable to 1 GB. If you need to have your VPS burstable to 1 GB, it will be cheaper to go with the Medium VPS.

Another thing, I believe we are one of the few Virtuozzo VPS providers out there that know how to set the VPS paramenters. This is why over the last few years, we don't hear much complaints from our VPS customer about VPS resource problems.

Best wishes with your search!

Loco
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
okay, so I couldn't buy more ram with the compact vps ? the disk and bandwith are good, but I think I could use a bit more ram..

thanks, I'm just working on getting enough to buy 6 months at a time so I can save a little $ :)

FH-John
09-13-2006, 02:20 PM
What do you plan on running that would require 1GB of RAM? Not too many customers end up running out of RAM, most end up needing more disk space, or bandwidth.

Loco
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, some other webmasters I've talked to that have forums say they don't like to have less then 2 gig of ram..

my site is small now, but I plan on it getting pretty good size..
it just seems like 128 mg is very small for ram

FH-John
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
You are able to burst up to 512MB of RAM when needed, so it should be good to start.

William
09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, some other webmasters I've talked to that have forums say they don't like to have less then 2 gig of ram..

my site is small now, but I plan on it getting pretty good size..
it just seems like 128 mg is very small for ram

I would worry about that when your site becomes a big board Loco. By then the revenue stream will have increased and more options will be available to you.

I have been running three sites on mine and when I was writing Articlebot for vBulletin I was testing hundreds of feed imports into threads minute by minute for hours on end and never had an issue with any sites while doing this. One night It made 5000 posts in a couple hours with no trouble.

Burstable means you have the max when you need it. Which will be rare for some time to come.

William
09-14-2006, 12:53 AM
@theOG

By funds Loco meant enough to pay a year or more to get the long term discount. He has the money for month to month but why would he? I think there was just a miss understanding there.

Loco
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
okay William, that gives me some reassurance with the RAM..

I'll definitely be getting hosting for you guys :)

my current host is paid till the end of Oct. so it may not be until close to the end of next month before I sign up..

like William said, I can pay for 1,2 or 3 months right now, but I want to get enough for 6,12 or 24 months for the discount..

and actually, I'll prolly buy one month and see how it goes, then buy 6 or 12.. :)

Loco
09-14-2006, 02:56 PM
okay, I setup an account and when I get to step 5, I didn't see an options for paypal..

who do I send a payment to ?

thank you

the account is for sheley.org

FH-Dave
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
okay, I setup an account and when I get to step 5, I didn't see an options for paypal..

who do I send a payment to ?

thank you

the account is for sheley.org

Hi Loco,

Payment information can be read here: http://fluidhosting.com/payment/

Glad to hear you are joining us. I am eager to have you on board! :)

Loco
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
thank you,
I'm just doing one month now, then if all is as good as it seems, I'll do 3 or 6, then by that time I should be able to do 1 or 2 years at a time :)

btw..

"You have sent a payment! An email has been sent to the recipient."

btw, one of the screen I seen a bunch of free options to add.. and I added the ones I think I'll need.. at any point will I be able to add more out of that list ??

some of what I added where
zend, php, mysylq,mysphpadmin webstats, mail etc...

FH-Dave
09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Loco,

Thank you for the payment, account is being created now. Your VPS should be ready in the next 5 minutes.

You can add/remove applications any time. However, if you want us to upgrade your PHP/MySQL/Apache, you will need to be carefull when adding/removing the applications (e.g. PhpMyAdmin, Horde, etc) from the application templates these application templates may be build over older applications, and thus adding/removing these applications may cause problems with the VPS. You can contact support when you are in doubt.

Don't hesitate to contact support should you need any assistance with your VPS. Welcome aboard and I hope you will enjoy your VPS!

Loco
09-14-2006, 03:33 PM
thank you,, do you have a beginners guide anywhere ? I'm looking around, trying to figure out how I can get the ftp info, so I can start uploaded some sites. :)

nvm, i see stuff is sitll adding :)

looks good so far,, this will be interesting :p

theOG
09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
@theOG

By funds Loco meant enough to pay a year or more to get the long term discount. He has the money for month to month but why would he? I think there was just a miss understanding there.

There was, he explained what he meant, and we all moved on with life.... just like I said, sometimes I can be insensitive... sometimes I can be a jerk... hey, that is me... we all have our faults, I admit mine… :D

But yea, this was a misunderstanding on my part… loco even purchased hosting already… it is all good.

Loco
09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
the ftp seems a little slow uploading files :(

I'm getting the hang of things slowly..
still not sure on the DB part,, trying to add a few blogs that have db's, then when I get the hang of that I'll upload my forum :)

Loco
09-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I just want to say, Thank you to the support guys.. You've been great :)

okay,, also I'd like to know, if there a Link I can put on my site and if someone signs up under me, I'll get a kickback like I signed up under William ?

thank you

Loco
09-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I just want to say, Thank you to the support guys.. You've been great :)

okay,, also I'd like to know, if there a Link I can put on my site and if someone signs up under me, I'll get a kickback like I signed up under William ?

thank you

bump ?................

FH-John
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
At this time we don't have an affiliate link. What you can do, is ask people to mention that they were referred to us by you.

William
09-19-2006, 07:40 PM
You guys should really load up some affiliate software. It would do wonders for sales.

FH-Dave
09-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Please email me directly for affiliate program. Currently we are testing it on shared hosting plans. Will offer it on VPS plans as well in the near future.

William
09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Thats Great!

Loco
09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Please email me directly for affiliate program. Currently we are testing it on shared hosting plans. Will offer it on VPS plans as well in the near future.

I don't know your email addy, but I'll pm you :)

hope that works :)

Loco
09-24-2006, 10:04 PM
hows the affliate program coming ? I've been posting your link in several places.. I'd like to get some credit if anyone uses them ;)