PDA

View Full Version : Pre Sales Questions

Unregistered
10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
hello

i am living in australia but i want to have a US based server as my website is aimed at a global audience, not just Oz.

i have the following requirements

- ASP.NET2.0
- backend database (MYSQL or MSSQL)
- SSL
- Excellent uptime ratio.
- Excellent online support (especially as Im living down under!)

if you can provide these things could you please inform me of the costs as im trying to do a costing sheet as part of the research for my business idea. thanks.

also some more tehnical questions:

will i be able to use data caching to cache frequently used data?
will i be able to have my own web.config?

thanks

FH-John
10-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Hello!

We currently offer all of those features. As for data caching, how will you be implementing it?

For pricing information, please see, http://www.fluidhosting.com/comparison.php?os=windows.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 01:47 AM
hi there

part of the ASP.NET API allows you to cache data. this data gets cached in the servers memory. you can then set an expiry time for it. this is useful for frequently accessed lookups data and saves roundtripping to the database to retrieve it each time.

i wasnt sure if an ASP.NET host blocked this somehow to prevent users on a shared server consuming too much memory in this way.

as for me, i wouldnt be needing much. its not really to big a deal for me i just thought id ask.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
p.s. on your comparison sheet i see no mention of ASP.NET2.0 or SQLSERVER which led me to believe you dont these services, or that they are not priority.

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
You may be looking at our Unix plans page. The Windows plans page can be seen here: http://fluidhosting.com/comparison.php?os=windows. ASP.Net and MSSQL are listed on that page.

Let us know if you have any further questions/concerns.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
some more questions please.

1. "128 bit SSL Support (with dedicated IP) - YES"
"Shared SSL - NO"

im a little unsure about what this means. i am developing a simple database driven website that will have an account holders section where they can login. can i use SSL for those couple of pages? do i even need SSL? and whats the difference between SSL support and shared SSL?

2. it says ASP.NET2.0 is not enabled by default. will i be ok to use ASP.NET2.0? do you have the experience to set it up?

3. the main thing i dont want is the MSSQL database becoming unavailable intermittently because im stuck on a shared server with other people who are hammering it. does this problem occur?

p.s. on the other hand i dont want to consider VPS (yet) as my business needs to start off small until i see if it will be successful or not. thanks.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
also some more questions :) sorry but its really important that i get a good host. after doing loads of research you come highly recommended btw :)

1. can i use MSSQL 2005?

2. i live in Oz. whats the best way for me to pay?

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
some more questions please.

1. "128 bit SSL Support (with dedicated IP) - YES"
"Shared SSL - NO"

im a little unsure about what this means. i am developing a simple database driven website that will have an account holders section where they can login. can i use SSL for those couple of pages? do i even need SSL? and whats the difference between SSL support and shared SSL?

If you want to secure your pages, you will need to install SSL certificate so anybody can access the pages securely via https://. Now there are two types of SSL certificates, one is "shared" SSL and another is "dedicated" SSL certificate (or what people simply call SSL certificate). Using shared SSL, you will be securing your pages using our SSL certificate (E.g. https://<your_account_name>.fluidhosting.com/). With ordinary/"dedicated" SSL certificate, you will secure it under your own domain name, e.g. https://www.yourdomain.com/.

Shared SSL is cheaper, obviously. For some other purposes (E.g. ecommerce websites, etc), having your own SSL certificate is better. At this moment, we alos resell Comodo's SSL Certificates (InstantSSL, Instant SSL Pro, and Premium SSL) at discounted price.

2. it says ASP.NET2.0 is not enabled by default. will i be ok to use ASP.NET2.0? do you have the experience to set it up?

Yes, we have experience supporting and setting up ASP.Net 2.0. In fact, quite a few of our customers are already using ASP.Net 2.0.

3. the main thing i dont want is the MSSQL database becoming unavailable intermittently because im stuck on a shared server with other people who are hammering it. does this problem occur?

Our MSSQL server has been reliable. We have not had any problem with it and we do have 99.9% uptime guarantee on all services, including MSSQL.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
1 more question

1. im going to start off on a medium plan. if i want to move up to a bigger plan at any point can i do that without being charged

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
also some more questions :) sorry but its really important that i get a good host. after doing loads of research you come highly recommended btw :)

Not a problem. The more your presales questions are answered satisfactorily, the better it is for everybody :)

1. can i use MSSQL 2005?

MSSQL 2005 was supposed to be launched on 10/02/2006. There is a bit delay. But it should be available this coming Friday, 10/06/2006. We are setting up a new MSSQL server tommorow and it will run MSSQL Server 2005 Standard Edition.

2. i live in Oz. whats the best way for me to pay?

We accept the following payments (in order of preference):

Credit Card (Amex, Visa, and Master Card)
Paypal (www.paypal.com)
Wire Transfer with $40 international wire transfer fee
Certified/company Check

1. im going to start off on a medium plan. if i want to move up to a bigger plan at any point can i do that without being charged

Upgrade to other plans with equal or more value/price can be done anytime. There is no additional charge for upgrades.

Let us know if you have any further questions/concerns.

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 05:16 PM
ok. great. ive decided to go with you. 2 more questions.

1. re the SSL, you said "...Using shared SSL, you will be securing your pages using our SSL certificate...". does this mean you do have shared SSL available? if so how much extra does it cost? if not how much am i looking at for dedicated SSL? thanks.

2. if my customers are accessing from Australia, will there be a problem with the page loading slow because the server is in the USA?

thanks a lot. youve been most helpful

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
ok. great. ive decided to go with you. 2 more questions.

Excellent. I am sure you will enjoy your hosting experience here.

1. re the SSL, you said "...Using shared SSL, you will be securing your pages using our SSL certificate...". does this mean you do have shared SSL available? if so how much extra does it cost? if not how much am i looking at for dedicated SSL? thanks.

My apology, I have forgotten to add that Shared SSL is not available under Windows platforms. Thus, you will need to purchase your own SSL certificate. We sell Comodo Instant SSL Certificate at $59.95 for 1 year, a $20 discount off the list price.

2. if my customers are accessing from Australia, will there be a problem with the page loading slow because the server is in the USA?

We have customers from Australia and so far, no complaint. However, do note that our servers are located in US East Coast and most (if not all) of the times, Australia traffic to US is coming from US West Coast. This should add roughly about 60-80 ms (that is, 0.06 - 0.08 seconds) in latency. But for web browsing, this added latency should be negligible.

thanks a lot. youve been most helpful

You are welcome!

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
argh! 1 more thing.

what do i do if i want a couple of email addys

like sales@mydomain.com and info@mydomain.com

cheers

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
like sales@mydomain.com and info@mydomain.com

We don't limit the amount of email accounts you can create for your domain(s). The only limitation is the total disk space usage for all of your web files, MySQL/PgSQL databases, and email mailboxes.

Enjoy multiple emails :)

Unregistered
10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
thanks

so how do i go about getting an email addy?

FH-Dave
10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I am not sure what you mean. Once your account is activated, you can create the mailboxes through your control panel. Of course, you will need to own your own domain. If you do not have any domain at this moment, we can register this for you at a cost of $19.95/year for .com, .net, and .org TLD.

theOG
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks

so how do i go about getting an email addy?

Do you mean, how do you create an email address?

If so, you would create the email within the control panel. In the control panel they have a link to email and you pick your domain (if you have more than one domain) from the drop down and it lists all the emails with that domain. You can then create an email, forward, etc. You can setup your anti-spam and anti-virus from this area as well….

After that you go to url of the email you want to use (horde/squirrelmail) and loggin.

Nice system... not complicated at all...

I apologize if this was not what you were asking… only trying to help….