PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Honest Fluid Hosting Opinions

tknterry
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi Im seeking a new web host for my modest photo gallery site. My main criteria are consistent reliability in quality of support and uptime. My disk space and data transfer needs are modest. The compact or medium unix plans would suit these 2 requirements fine. However I would like a dedicated IP address and it looks like the compact plan requires $2/month more for this.
What I will appreciate here are honest, unvarnished opinions of your experiences with Fluid Hosting. I realize the answers may be a bit skewed toward the positive since those that have major problems with FH would probably leave, but I think I can still get some honest and helpful responses here. Thank you very much!

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Are you checking offsite forums like webhostingtalk also? Probably best to check in a couple of places not related to the company for a good balance.

tknterry
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Patrick, Oh yes, definitely I have checked webhostingtalk.com. Its one of my best relatively unbiased web host information sources. And the user comments there are quite favorable to fluid hosting. Thats why FH is in my top 2 list of soon-to-be new web host. So how has your experience with FH been patrick?

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Great. Awesome :)

Then again I am doing presales work just like you - see my post in this same forum. I am doing some looking over at cartika also. I think fluid and cartika are my two finalists. And it is very hard because I am not moving from a bad hosting company. I am used to amazing support so I need to leave amazing support and find it elsewhere - just with windows/unix at the same company !

Good luck to us both - wherever we end up.

William
01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, they don't give us any incentive to post nice things here and they don't boot us if we post bad things so it won't be that scewed. I had several hosts the year before I came here. And I have been here about 3 or 4 years. I say that because it's been so long I'm not even sure at the moment. It's like that here. You stop thinking about hosts and time slows down.

I can tell you that emails are answered in minutes.

I can tell you the goy above and beyond anything that you sign up for and is agread to.

I can tell you the guys on support are top notch and available 24 hours a day. I wish I could send them pizza sometimes late at night when they have to put up with my stupid questions. And they are always polite.

I can tell you that Dave the owner is an honest guy that has genuine concern for others and will go out of his way to make sure our sites run as well has his.

I can tell you that when something does go wrong, and it always does on the net and in the computer world, they will get it taken care of. Even working all night on a holiday. They have

And the big thing for me, no bull. When something goes wrong it's straight answers on the issue. I can't tell you how important this is to me. I hate the bull answers I used to get from hosts like I am some goober that doesn't know something is wrong. I emphasise that because I am reminded this past two weeks as I am babysitting someone else sites while they are on vacation. They are on another big VPS host. The sites have gone down twice for 18 hours total and the answers they gave were hilarious. They fixed it of course, but the wiggling with the truth was a pain. Why couldn't they just admit they were having hard drive problems.

You won't get that here. They will tell you what is going on and do whatever it takes to fix it. That's why I stay.

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
William,

Thanks for the info. NOTHING in the world speaks to how good a company (not just hosting) is as much as a testimonial. Not reviews, not features, not price. And I am sure just like me hosting is a crucial commodity and part of your business picture.

Some people doing simple static work don't look as hard. Anything will work for them. Me? I have PHP applications that I'll need to run, I do ASP.NET development, and I do some small hosting for other people. Hosting is and probably always will be part of my life. It is as important as a car or cell phone.

Thanks again.

Patrick

tknterry
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
William, excellent review! Thank you very much. You made me one step closer to signing up with Fluid Hosting. Its between FH and FutureQuest and right now Fluid Hosting is on top!
Well, they don't give us any incentive to post nice things here and they don't boot us if we post bad things so it won't be that scewed. I had several hosts the year before I came here. And I have been here about 3 or 4 years. I say that because it's been so long I'm not even sure at the moment. It's like that here. You stop thinking about hosts and time slows down.

I can tell you that emails are answered in minutes.

I can tell you the goy above and beyond anything that you sign up for and is agread to.

I can tell you the guys on support are top notch and available 24 hours a day. I wish I could send them pizza sometimes late at night when they have to put up with my stupid questions. And they are always polite.

I can tell you that Dave the owner is an honest guy that has genuine concern for others and will go out of his way to make sure our sites run as well has his.

I can tell you that when something does go wrong, and it always does on the net and in the computer world, they will get it taken care of. Even working all night on a holiday. They have

And the big thing for me, no bull. When something goes wrong it's straight answers on the issue. I can't tell you how important this is to me. I hate the bull answers I used to get from hosts like I am some goober that doesn't know something is wrong. I emphasise that because I am reminded this past two weeks as I am babysitting someone else sites while they are on vacation. They are on another big VPS host. The sites have gone down twice for 18 hours total and the answers they gave were hilarious. They fixed it of course, but the wiggling with the truth was a pain. Why couldn't they just admit they were having hard drive problems.

You won't get that here. They will tell you what is going on and do whatever it takes to fix it. That's why I stay.

Skibum
01-10-2007, 01:34 PM
William is 100% correct. Fluidhosting is as good as it gets. :thumbup:

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
IF an FH admin is reading this I might suggest.. for professionalism purposes... to read through the home page in detail for spelling and grammar. Just glancing it through I caught some misspellings.

tknterry
01-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Yes, I can clearly see that also. Well so the web designer doesnt spell well. :shhh:
IF an FH admin is reading this I might suggest.. for professionalism purposes... to read through the home page in detail for spelling and grammar. Just glancing it through I caught some misspellings.

patrick24601
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
tkn,

How is the decision process going? :dunno: I decided two days ago. :buttrock: All my asp.net sites are moved over :) and now I am going to start working on the PHP sites.

Upfront warning: Be patient and give yourself some learning time :banghead: . This is my first time in working with Hsphere and it is VERY robust - unlike a normal linux reseller account (cpanel/whm) hsphere is set up to run an ENTIRE business from soup to nuts (signup, billing, overdue billing, charging extra for options, etc) :eek2: . Which means it has ALOT of options. For example: After the admins gave me by base hpshere account I had to create my own admin account. Then I had to create a reseller account under that admin account. Then I had to sign up as a customer of my reseller before I could even start creating hosting accounts. So right now I have 4 sign ins :D . Fortunately I'll only have to worry about the lowest level one most of the time.

So just be forewarned. There is a learning curve. However :thumbup: they also provide a step by step startup page which I was too impatient to read:

http://fluidhosting.com/support/hsphere/reseller/html/getting_started.html :help:

Patrick :banana:
(havin' some fun with the smilies)

tknterry
01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Patrick, thanks very much for the information about H-Sphere. Actually my webhost is only for my personal website and I will not have anyone elses websites under this account. Will setting up and using H-Sphere be that involved since I have only my own personal website to work with here? Using 4 different sign-ins to access my account in H-Sphere sounds like overkill for my needs.:yuck: I have not yet decided on whom I will choose for my web host. My current contract expires Feb 20. My other option is FutureQuest and possibly Pair.

FH-John
01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Terry,

If you select a shared hosting plan, then you will have a single login.

pingme
01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
tknterry, I think I could give you an honest opinion :) Sharing my story that might help you decide

Before coming to FH I tried many hosts like Pair, FutureQuest, Lunarpages, UnitedHosting, AsmallOrange, LaughingSquid.

Of these the only ones which I will recommend honestly now is Fluidhosting. I would have recomended pair but recently thy have been having lots of troubles with their support quality and response times (I canceled my pair account today due to this) If you visit WHT aka webhostingtalk forum you can find threads complaining about pair.

The other hosts were either low on quality (either of site response, support, etc) or unnecessarily high priced (FutureQuest) so if I have to see who gives optimum value for $$ I spend, its Fluidhosting for me.

Like you I too host hobby sites and at a reasonable cost of ($15/month for medium plan) I can host 5 sites with single login which loads very fast and are virtually never down. And thats the most important thing for me, I never worry as I know, my small but loving babies are in safe hands :)

About the guys here are very friendly, cooperative and have very good business ethics. I think you should give them a try and you will never go anywhere else

tknterry
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks very much John and pingme for your responses. Im glad there would be a single H-Sphere log-in for my site John. Also, pingme, I have read WHT and I think Ive read your postings regarding Pair recently. You and others that have commented both here and at WHT seem to like Fluid Hosting very well. How long have you been using Fluid Hosting?

pingme
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I am with Fluidhosting since October 2004. I had sold my site and then upgraded to their VPS for a while. As I found VPS is beyond my capacity :D, I downgraded to Medium plan. Now I am on medium Linux plan

patrick24601
01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I should clarify.

I only host personal sites also. It just so happens I have about 6 of them ! So whereever I go I need a reseller account.

FH-Dave
01-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I should clarify.

I only host personal sites also. It just so happens I have about 6 of them ! So whereever I go I need a reseller account.

That will be the case if you use CPanel/WHM. But HSphere is build with multiple domain support from the start. Thus you can host multiple websites under our shared hosting plans. The shared hosting plans should be prefered, due to its simplicity, espcially if you do not need separate control panel for your each domains.

Terry, good luck with your search of a new home. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you to help with your decision making :)