PDA

View Full Version : Presales ?s

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Here is my standard list I am using right now of presales questions as I shop.

1. Is shared/reseller hosting done on a physical server or on a VPS? Meaning - when I get a reseller account for ASP.NET is the IIS I am using running on a VPS or is running on the native/physical server?

2. Do you allow scheduling of a. Cron jobs in linux and b. ASP.NET jobs in Windows (i.e. have job1.aspx run at 01:00 every day)

3. Do you offer the complete line of hosting as far as an upgrade path. Shared --> VPS --> Dedicated

4. If there are ever problem with the site where these forums are hosting is there another site (on a different network, different server, different DNS) that customers can get to to get status information about any outages?

5. Do you know of any problem with hosting Community Server here?

6. I can probably go read on this one but real quick. Can my ASP.NET hosting have multiple databases or do I have pay extra for each database?

7. What is your database staffing? At another asp.net hosting company I had a SQL Server database problem (that I had created) that rendered my database unusable and required dba intervention. I had to wait until the next morning for a DBA to come in and resolve the issue. I left that hosting company immediately.

FH-Dave
01-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi Patrick,

Welcome aboard. Thank you for considering our service. Please find below my answer to your questions.

1. Is shared/reseller hosting done on a physical server or on a VPS? Meaning - when I get a reseller account for ASP.NET is the IIS I am using running on a VPS or is running on the native/physical server?

The shared/reseller hosting are on its own physical server. We do not put shared/reseller customer on a VPS.

2. Do you allow scheduling of a. Cron jobs in linux and b. ASP.NET jobs in Windows (i.e. have job1.aspx run at 01:00 every day)

Under Unix account, customer can configure cron jobs through the control panel. There is no cron jobs under Windows account. You can contact us to have us manually install your script/applications on our scheduler.

3. Do you offer the complete line of hosting as far as an upgrade path. Shared --> VPS --> Dedicated

Certainly. We offer anything from shared to dedicated server (managed or unmanaged). The migration from one hosting type to another will need to be done manually as they are completely different solutions.

4. If there are ever problem with the site where these forums are hosting is there another site (on a different network, different server, different DNS) that customers can get to to get status information about any outages?

This forum is hosted on our secondary data center (Telehouse/NYC), separate from the rest of our servers. In the rare event that there is problem on our primary datacenter (Equinix/Secaucus), this forum will be up and running and will be our primary way to communicate with customers.

5. Do you know of any problem with hosting Community Server here?

Not that I know of. We have assisted customer installing Community Server and it works just fine.

6. I can probably go read on this one but real quick. Can my ASP.NET hosting have multiple databases or do I have pay extra for each database?

You can host as many Access databases as you need. All of our plans give you multiple MySQL and PgSQL databases for free (at least 2 free MySQL and 2 free PgSQL databases). And on our Windows Medium Plan an above, you can multiple free MSSQL 2005 databases. Once you run out of your free databases, you can always add for more or upgrade to the next plan.

7. What is your database staffing? At another asp.net hosting company I had a SQL Server database problem (that I had created) that rendered my database unusable and required dba intervention. I had to wait until the next morning for a DBA to come in and resolve the issue. I left that hosting company immediately.

All of our technical support staff should be able to resolve most database problems you have. For emergency problem, our aim is to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Thus, all of our senior admins have made themselves available outside of their shifts to handle any emergency problem when they are needed.

I hope I have answered your questions satisfactorily. Should you have any further questions/concerns, please donot hesitate to ask. I am loooking foward to working with you.

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks Dave. Nice fast response also. evilbanana

William
01-10-2007, 03:32 AM

These guys answer emails in minutes and sometimes seconds. You don't have to worry about support here. That's why I have been here for several years and don't intend to move.

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Good deal. I was recommended over by the forums at httpme. They are the same way. Fanatical support - and active forums also.

patrick24601
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
OK. Signed up.

FYI... I opened a ticket on some odd sign up behavior. Towards the end of the sign up I got a confirmation screen and then there were some double arrows to the right at the bottom... as in proceed to the next page. I clicked on those and the browser closed. Was that supposed to happen? Maybe a I did not read the page.

Looking forward to getting busy.