PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Sales Questions

flyingpylon
10-13-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm considering setting up a small UNIX account at Fluid Hosting for the single purpose of running phpAdsNew. (I'm more of a Windows/ASP/MSSQL guy but I'm impressed with phpAdsNew and my current host doesn't offer MySQL).

My questions are:

1. Can everything be administered through the control panel or will I need to know any UNIX commands?

2. If I have a shared plan (such as the value plan), will it be possible to have my domain hosted elsewhere and just point a DNS host (A) record to my Fluid Hosting account using something like "ads.mydomain.com"?

3. Is it possible to disable e-mail and other services I won't need?

I find myself getting more and more interested in PHP/MySQL and open source, but I need to dip into it slowly. Though I'll be a very small customer at first, I expect that I may move more functions over and my account will grow as I get more comfortable. Thanks for any answers or advice you can provide.

FH-John
10-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Thank you for considering our services. :)

To answer your questions...

1) You should be able to configure everything via the control panel. Our control panel will allow you manage your database, and file permissions, etc.

2) I can't see that as being a problem. Merely sign-up for an account with the domain as, the hostname you want to use. (I'll check on this.)

3) I don't believe you can disable mail. However, you don't have to configure any e-mail accounts. Or, if you're hosting DNS elsewhere, don't create an MX record.

I hope this helps. :)

flyingpylon
10-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reply John.

I suppose that if my domain registration record doesn't point to your name servers, then I could sign up with the same root domain name and it wouldn't matter. I should have thought of that!

Let me know if you hear otherwise.

nvphone
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
flyingpylon:
I have had websites since 1997.
This is the BEST host you will ever find!
The other customers here are great also.
This is a "we all help eachother," kind of place.
I am also getting into php and stuff and people here jump right in to help you!
The only way I will ever leave fluidhosting is:
1. I die
2. They stop hosting.

Bill