PDA

View Full Version : security features

Unregistered
11-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Of course, I send off E-mail with questions, and then I find your forum.

After surfing around looking for virtual domain hosting, I came to the conclusion that I really need secure protocols to protect me from my (future) fellow cable modem users on the client side. I really don't need the neighbor kids reading all of my E-mail and replacing my web site content every other day.

I see POP3 over SSL -- good! I see secure web mail -- good! But for managing web content, I see FTP -- bad!

This can't be good for support folks, either -- helping people recover from hijacked FTP accounts all the time.

Is it possible to add OpenSSH sftp access to the "Value" FreeBSD service? Any secure way to transmit web content is literally the only thing that I'm missing from that package. (I know -- I'm cheap.)

Spam processing is the other really nice-to-have that I see currently missing. SpamAssassin is in the FreeBSD ports directory. Run in daemon mode, it's a pretty good performer. It tags likely SPAM (better than 95% accurate). Users can then filter it in their E-mail clients, or just ignore the tags. No mail is lost in the making of this film. Not bad for free.

If you want to do spam and virus in a separate front-end appliance, look at mailscanner: <http://www.mailscanner.biz/> Free 'cept for the hardware, and maybe commercial virus software if you want to use it.

Thanks.

FH-Dave
11-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Thank you for your interest in our service.

Unfortunately, you will have to go for Unix Light account to get SSH access. With it, then you can have SFTP. We also have SMTP over SSL.

We have been waiting for the control panel developer to integrate email filtering as one additional end-user feature. But if they do not come up with soone, we will see what we can do with the email filtering.

Please do not hesitate to contact support[at]fluidhosting.com if you have further questions/concerns.