PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you all

Unregistered
12-07-2003, 04:57 PM
1. My website current uses ASPBITE (http://www.aspbite.com)content management system. Does fluid hosting's windows shared hosting meet these requirements:

"A hosting account which supports ASP and MS Access Databases. We recommend you also have ASP.net available as future upgrades and add on modules will no doubt include ASP.net code. Your hosting should have CDonts, ASPMail or Jmail email components available if you wish to use email facilities of the system."

2. Aside from my ms access based site (which hopefully will be a mySQL site based site soon :) ), I wish to have a blog run with moveabletype.org's blog software. Does fluid hosting's windows shared hosting meet these requirements:

"Core requirements:

A web server with permissions that allow you to run custom CGI scripts

Perl, version 5.004_04 or greater, configured for your web server

Support for the DB_File Perl (Berkeley DB) module OR the MySQL database & DBD::mysql

Note: There are two storage options for Movable Type, Berkeley DB or MySQL. Nearly all hosts with Perl support include Berkeley DB, and many support MySQL. We strongly recommend using a MySQL database if the option exists on your server."

3. I am more of a writer than a technical guy. If I run accross the situation where I need help installing moveabletype.org or some cgi script, could I ask fluid hosting for some simle help? Normally I can figure it out through logic, but I like the option to get some expert help.

4. My site is small currently (160 unique visitors a week) but with big dreams. If I purchase a year's worth of the cheapest windows virutal hosting and then after 3 months decide to upgrade, could I upgrade to a better plan and pay the difference?

5. If I buy the cheapest windows virtual hosting (1 mySQL database), could I purchase additional databases without having the upgrade my entire plan?

Sorry for all the questions, currently I have decent hosting, however they do not provide mySQL databases (which I am planning on using to run my blog and later on, my entire site). The people at ASPbite offer hosting, but as you can see below it is a rip off.

http://www.mjb-is.co.uk/aspbite/categories/index.asp?intCatID=26

I have only heard GREAT things about fluid host, especially their customer service, and so I think this might fit my need perfectly since I am more into content writing and less into the technical aspect.

FH-Dave
12-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your interest in our service. Please find below answers to your questions/queries.

1. My website current uses ASPBITE (http://www.aspbite.com)content management system. Does fluid hosting's windows shared hosting meet these requirements:

"A hosting account which supports ASP and MS Access Databases. We recommend you also have ASP.net available as future upgrades and add on modules will no doubt include ASP.net code. Your hosting should have CDonts, ASPMail or Jmail email components available if you wish to use email facilities of the system."

I believe we should be OK. Our windows platform support ASP, ASP.Net 1.1, CDONTS, ASPEmail (http://www.aspemail.com) as well as support for MS Acess, MySQL, and MSSQL databases.

2. Aside from my ms access based site (which hopefully will be a mySQL site based site soon ), I wish to have a blog run with moveabletype.org's blog software. Does fluid hosting's windows shared hosting meet these requirements:

"Core requirements:

A web server with permissions that allow you to run custom CGI scripts

Perl, version 5.004_04 or greater, configured for your web server

Support for the DB_File Perl (Berkeley DB) module OR the MySQL database & DBD::mysql

Note: There are two storage options for Movable Type, Berkeley DB or MySQL. Nearly all hosts with Perl support include Berkeley DB, and many support MySQL. We strongly recommend using a MySQL database if the option exists on your server."

Our windows server also have all of these installed. Perl v. 5.8 with Berkeley DB and MySQL support.

3. I am more of a writer than a technical guy. If I run accross the situation where I need help installing moveabletype.org or some cgi script, could I ask fluid hosting for some simle help? Normally I can figure it out through logic, but I like the option to get some expert help.

We will be more than willing to help you with the installation on a complimentary basis. However, we reserve the right to charge charge $75/hour, billable in 15 minutes increment, consultation fees for more complicated tasks/jobs. Having said so, we have rarely charge our customers for any consultation fees. We love to help as much as we can.

4. My site is small currently (160 unique visitors a week) but with big dreams. If I purchase a year's worth of the cheapest windows virutal hosting and then after 3 months decide to upgrade, could I upgrade to a better plan and pay the difference?

Most certainly. You can upgrade to any plans at any time. When you upgrade, a new invoice with a new billing date will be generated for you. You may also receive a prorated credit on your old invoice. Your credit card will then be charged the difference between the charge on the new invoice and the prorated credit on the old invoice.

5. If I buy the cheapest windows virtual hosting (1 mySQL database), could I purchase additional databases without having the upgrade my entire plan?

Yes, you can buy extra MySQL database at $5/month for each database. However, I will suggest you to upgrade since it will be more cost efficient for your to do so, since you will get additional resources as well.

I have only heard GREAT things about fluid host, especially their customer service, and so I think this might fit my need perfectly since I am more into content writing and less into the technical aspect.

Thank you for the nice words regarding us/our service. I believe you will have a pleasant stay with us.

Thank you once again for your interest in our service. Should you have further questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.