PDA

View Full Version : Database Question

Unregistered
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Have heard a lot of good things so far about your hosting. My question is how do you handle database size? I didn't see anywhere on the site a database size cap so I was wondering how you have it setup. Is it part of the disk size?

Thanks,
Mike

FH-Dave
12-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your interest in our service.

Yes, database is part of the total disk space. Initially you will be given a database with a certain size (varies depending on the plan). However, you can enlarge this size anytime. As long as the total size of your web, mails, and databases does not exceed the total disk space allocated under your plan, there should be no over usage charges.

Michael Farley
12-12-2003, 01:42 AM
It's me (unregistered from above). Thank you for your response, that is exactly what my site needs.

1.) A couple more questions: is the mysql databases located on the local server to the site or do they operate on a seperate dedicated server?

2.) Do you have a functioning control panel demo?

3.) If we go over our bandwidth alottment what is the process on your side of handling the situation? Would it be possible to upgrade to the next plan before any penalties are incurred?

Thanks,
Mike

FH-Dave
12-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi Michael,

welcome to our community forums :)

Originally posted by Michael Farley
1.) A couple more questions: is the mysql databases located on the local server to the site or do they operate on a seperate dedicated server?

The MySQL server is located on its own dedicated server, accessible only from the web servers. Currently, the server specs of the mysql server is P3T/1.13GHz, 2GB ECC memory, SCSI3 U160 10000 rpm drives in RAID1.

2.) Do you have a functioning control panel demo?

Unfortunately, we do not give demo account. However, you can take a look at some control panel screen shots here (fluidhosting.com/controlpanel.php)

3.) If we go over our bandwidth alottment what is the process on your side of handling the situation? Would it be possible to upgrade to the next plan before any penalties are incurred?

When you go over your bandwidth allocation, your account will simply be charged $3/GB. You can upgrade to the next plan anytime, however, you may still receive over usage charge. For example, say you have our Unix Economy plan that gives you 10GB of traffic every month. If you upgrade before the month ends, the control panel will prorate your traffic allocation to 333 MB/day (10 GB over 30 days). If, say, on the 15th day (half way through your month), you are using 8GB already and you upgraded to our Unix Standard plan, the control panel will charge you an additional 3 GB over usage fee (3 GB over your 5GB allocated bandwidth over 15 days).

You can, however, have more control over your traffic usage by throttling your traffic. From the control panel, you can specify how much traffic you want to serve, say, 100MB/day, 1GB/week, 5GB/month, and et cetera. The web server will then delay or refuse (less likely) traffic/requests to your sites. For more information about traffic throttling, please visit our online control panel user guide (http://fluidhosting.com/support/user/traffic.html#throttle)

Michael Farley
12-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Thank you for the response.

Unfrtunately we are committed due to a contract until May, but I will be purchasing 1 month (Feb) to get everything tested and setup and if I like the setup will subsequently purchase a years hosting.

Mike