PDA

View Full Version : Is VPS right for me?

lapouche
12-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Hello,
I am planning changing host for reliability reasons and you seem to offer what i've been looking for.
However, I still have to decide whether to go with shared or vps hosting.
I need to host 3 different domains each with very limited bandwidth (less than 1Gb per month altogether) and 2 of them using php and MySQL.
My concern with my previous host was double: first the server is down easily 4-5 times a day each time for 10 to 15 mn and second very basic database queries take forever so that the sites take too long to load.
Given my own low bandwidth, I suspect that these problems are related to other sites hosted on the same server and overloading it, thus my interest for a solution that could avoid my sites being affected by others.
At the same time, I am presently using Windows hosting with IIS, and from what I've read, working with an Apache server would help me a lot for several tasks.
However, I don't know much about Apache and Unix/Linux (but I am quite familiar with IIS). Therefore, I am concerned that VPS might require much more time for me to configure everything correctly. Am I right on this? Is it realistic to think I can go with a VPS account and get started almost instantly, or do I need to install/configure PHP, MySQL and so on by myself?

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks in advance,
Michel

AlexanderT
12-17-2003, 02:05 PM
I've been with FH for half a year with a shared hosting plan, and did not experience a single unexpected downtime. I don't think you need VPS; on the contrary, I think with the managed shared servers you are having a better and probably more reliable deal than with a VPS where you don't exactly know what you are doing.

Greets
Alex

Graeme
12-17-2003, 04:35 PM
I would say shared hosting too, however the multiple sites (assuming each domain going to a different site) may be a problem as I think you can only host one site per account. Although a member of staff will have the answer :)

Just for the record i've had to reboot my VPS twice since I joined in June, and only one of those was a because of a problem. Uptime has been unparalleled, and from my own monitoring, network uptime has been over 99.9% since July.

You should look at a VPS like a dedicated server, if you feel you could run a dedicated, then you can run a VPS. If not it's best to get a little bit of unix/linux experience under your belt first :)

Hope to see you here soon :)

FH-John
12-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Michel,

Thank you for considering Fluid Hosting.

From the requirements you have listed, I feel shared hosting would provide the best solution for your needs. Primarily due to the ease of management. A VPS requires a significant amount of time and skill to maintain properly.

Our FreeBSD shared hosting may be the best solution for you, as opposed to our Windows shared hosting. We offer several packages which allow for hosting multiple domains, each of which can be entirely seperate website/email.

brian
12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
I would say shared hosting too, however the multiple sites (assuming each domain going to a different site) may be a problem as I think you can only host one site per account. Although a member of staff will have the answer

Depends on your plan. I'm on the Unix 'Light' plan and can have up to 3 domains under the same account. For an additional $3/month you can have up to 8.

For me personally, the shared hosting plan works great. I don't have to do any sys admin type tasks. However, the shell level access lets me customize and install software with no hassle whatsoever. If you're not comfortable with Unix, the H-Sphere control panel gives what I think is more than an adequate toolset to manage your site.

lapouche
12-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Wow!
I must admit that I am quite impressed with the number and focus of answers received within a few hours! :wow:
Thank you everybody for your time and recommendations. I really appreciate it, and I think this is what I needed to decide.
So let's start with shared hosting and see later if more is needed.

Michel