PDA

View Full Version : VDS / VPS Questions

DrCool
01-30-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm looking into your VPS / VDS solutions and i've narrowed down my choice to your company or Dinix.com

So far here is my comparison:

Fluid Hosting:
99.99% uptime guarantee / SLA
pure internap bandwidth (boston, MA)
Virtuosso VPS with Cpanel
Server Hardware: Dual 1GHz P3's , 2GB + Memory, SCSI hd's
Cpanel Inclusive - subtracts from 3GB so really 2.5GB
Advanced (3GB Disk Space, 30GB Monthly Bandwidth, 2 IP's)
$84.95 Month / $50 Setup

Dinix:
99.99% uptime guarantee / SLA
pure internap bandwidth (atlanta, GA)
Virtuosso VPS with Cpanel
Server Hardware: Dual Xeon 2.4GHz, 2GB + Memory
Cpanel Exclusive - doesn't subtract from disk space full 11GB
VPS 300 (11GB Disk Space, 100GB Monthly Bandwidth, 2IP's)
$74.94 Month / $0 Setup

So i'm wondering.. why choose your service over DINIX?

thanks.

Graeme
01-31-2004, 04:38 PM
I'd be very curious about how Dinix differentiate for cPanel to be exclusive. In essence cPanel is a few scripts and a few binaries. Apache, Bind, Exim etc. aren't anything to do with cPanel; cPanel merely controls and allows an easy way to upgrade them.

If it's just a case of excluding /usr from your allowance can you install other apps like tripwire, chkrootkit etc. which aren't included in cPanel? If not you may as well go for a semi-dedicated server. cPanel still installs some software in /home anyway.

Or are they simply a case of adding 500MB to your allowance. cPanel can take up to 1GB depending on how often you tidy it.

If I was you I would find out a lot more about how they classify the exclusivity.

A very interesting post though :)

Graeme

William
01-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I don't see anything there about quality of customer service. While I agree that FH could use a boost in their disk space and bandwidth for VPS customers. Their service is not to be outdone.
Do you like email responces within minutes?
Do you like technicians that will dig into and help fix troubles on your server even though that's not really part of the service agreement?

I don't know anything about that other host so I can't answer this for you. However, I can tell you that after many many hosts that treated me like less than a customer, I'm sticking with FH. They treat me like more than a customer, they treat me like a friend. And that is worth more than bandwidth and the rest.

Richard
01-31-2004, 08:17 PM
For what it's worth I'm quite happy with the service/support/uptime here at Fluid. I agree with Graeme/William -- you really have to dig beyond what you see on paper. What those specs don't tell you are things like the number of customers per/server, the amount of resource contention per/server, quality of service/support, etc.

Having said that, I'm glad to see more and more service providers offering VPS', esp. on the Virtuozzo platform. It's also interesting to see such spec-for-spec comparisons, even though it is just one metric amongst many.

Personally, along with disk space, I think the amount of ram is very important. In terms of capability/performance/stability, memory contention seems to be the biggest factor ..

HTH

EDIT: also, for whatever reason(s), Dinix (and others) are either not allowing iptables firewalls, or haven't figured out how to set it up. In any case, their customers are unable to run ipt firewalls, FWIW.

FH-Dave
01-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Thank you for the great feedback/support guys! :)

Another thing that's quite important to know is that our VPS is based on HSPComplete, which is a more complex solution than Virtuozzo. There are two major things that HSPComplete can do that Virtuozzo VPS can'ts:
1. Create a server side backup. You can take a snap shot of your VPS any time. When your VPS fails (such as, after an attempted application upgrades, etc), you can restore your VPS easily from the backup. Ask Firelogic about this, he makes _a lot_ of backup and restore on his VPSes. I have always wondered why :D
2. The ability to "cold-reboot" your VPS from the HSPComplete control panel. Even when your services (apache, SSH, Telnet) fails, you can still reboot your VPS and bring back those services. This is just like having a remote reboot device on a dedicated server; when the server stalls/hangs, you just reboot it from the remote reboot device.

I am sure some people here will agree with me that those two features worth more than just more space/bandwidth. If you operate a mission critical web sites, having the above two features will really set you apart.

Having said this, I am currently reviewing our VPS plans. We may be upgrading/adding features on our current VPSes hopefully in the near future (at least until our HSPC is upgraded to 2.1, if not sooner). So, stay tuned ...

Graeme
01-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Firelogic
EDIT: also, for whatever reason(s), Dinix (and others) are either not allowing iptables firewalls, or haven't figured out how to set it up. In any case, their customers are unable to run ipt firewalls, FWIW.

That is a serious problem.

Having said this, I am currently reviewing our VPS plans.

Can we make suggestions? :D

Richard
01-31-2004, 09:18 PM
[i]Ask Firelogic about this, he makes _a lot_ of backup and restore on his VPSes. I have always wondered why :D

<LOL> meet my obsessive-compulsive side </LOL> :D

2. The ability to "cold-reboot" your VPS from the HSPComplete control panel. Even when your services (apache, SSH, Telnet) fails, you can still reboot your VPS and bring back those services.

Lifesaver -- take my word for it LOL

FH-Dave
01-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Graeme
Can we make suggestions? :D

There is no greater/better suggestion than that from a loyal customer! So feel free, of course. You know how to contact me! :D

Graeme
01-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by FHDave
There is no greater/better suggestion than that from a loyal customer! So feel free, of course. You know how to contact me! :D

PM Sent :D