PDA

View Full Version : Mail and MySQL problems

relworg
04-19-2004, 05:54 PM
I came to fluid because of high reviews and seemingly good support and services, along with a track record of low down-time. Unfortunately, since April 7th there have been problems with the mail server in one way or another. In addition, it appears that the mysql server is not completely stable either.

Today, yet again, there was a problem sending and receiving email. I first noticed it at around 3:00 pm PST, and it is now 3:50 pm PST. Your SLA is worth nothing if there isn't a great quality service backing it up.

Please let us know when you will be moving the mail server. "In the near future" is not what we need to hear. "April 21st at 5:00 a.m. EST", or something specific, is what we need to hear. This isn't something that we can wait on. As long as you guys have a below-par quality service, we have a below-quality service. Having mail down makes me look bad. While I love your services, the price, and the community, even at interland I didn't have problems like this.

I realize that you are probably just going through some growing pains, but you need to react to them immediately. Seeing problems with mail, mysql, and other servers having to be rebooted because of locking up, etc., makes FluidHosting seem like just another cheap host with cheap services. I know this isn't what you want to be viewed as, so I am hoping you will solve this problem now.

I am not saying I am completely unhappy with FluidHosting's services. My first few months of service here have not been what I had hoped. However, by looking through past forum discussions it appears that this is not how you always have been. I hope that this is just a little bump in the road that you can solve.

Thank you,

David

FH-Dave
04-20-2004, 01:01 AM
David,

There is nobody more upset/saddened with with what's going on lately then me, especially with the mail/database server. We had tried to improve our services by migrating all customers to a much better/solid servers but then the migration, though was smooth for majority of the people, did not go as smooth for some. We received quite a few of complaints about this. Now on top of the complaints we received, we are also having this mail server problem. Not to mention there was some database outage/slow down as well.

Our mail server has always been having a good uptime, at least of 99.9% for the last few months. In fact it had an uptime of 100% for the month of 02/04. This is according to alertra. The problem on mail server (as well as other services) is not a typical of us and does not really reflect us well. Perhaps it is indeed a growing pain that we are experiencing right now and we are ready to do whatever we can to pass this growing pains, and we are reacting as fast as we can. Last we thought the mail server was having memory problem, and we did schedule a memory upgrade in a timely manner. Now, we believe the mail server might be having hard drive problem, and we are ready to resolve it.

As we speak, another server is being prepared at this moment and we will migrate the mail server to this new server in the next 12-24 hours. Most likely we will schedule an emergency migration sometimes around 8 PM local time (GMT -04:00) tommorow, to minimize any downtime possible during peak/working hours.

We will be also adding new database server as soon as we have the server ready. This is to ensure that the load will be shared well between the two database server. We are also looking into providing a second mail server to distribute load and to avoid having all customers served on a one mail server. In short, we are trying to improve our services in the coming few days/weeks, one thing at a time. The improvements we are doing now might bring some unexpected/unwanted side effects but I am sure you will find that this will be for a much greater benefit in the longer run.

Thank you for your concern. We are always looking forward to improving ourselves. Your feedbacks are very welcomed.

relworg
04-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Dave,

This is really good to hear. Not only is it good to know you are responding, but also that you are able to respond quickly, even with multiple servers needing upgrading/replacement.

Thank you for the communication. I hope everything goes well.

David

AlexanderT
04-22-2004, 02:36 AM
I'd like to express my gratitude for FH's strong resolve to fix the problems we've been experiencing recently. I think especially in times like this you can differentiate a good host from a bad host.

Thanks FH for all your support!

Alex

FH-Dave
04-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Murphy's law works at its best against us during the month of April; over the last two years of hosting history, the last 2-3 weeks has been the worst for us.

But looking on it, here is what we have done so far for the last 2 weeks:
1. Finished upgrading all web servers to new Dell PowerEdge 2650 with Xeon CPU (one web server (win2) is still pending for upgrade, when we think it's necessary).
2. Upgrade MySQL from 3.23.x to 4.0.x
3. Migrated MySQL server to a stronger server (Dell PowerEdge 2650 with 15000 rpm drives)
4. Migrated Mail server to its very own dedicated server (Dell PowerEdge 1650)

Perhaps a little too much to handle. But I believe we have solved all (major) problems and kinks and be able to even deliver better services from now on.

Still to come:
1. Adding more mail and database servers to the cluster. So we will have mail1.fluidhosting.com, mail2.fluidhosting.com, etc as well as db1.fluidhosting.com, db2.fluidhosting.com, etc. So starting soon, customers will be on different servers.
2. Adding backup email server so that when main mail server is down, backup mail server will catch all emails and deliver it to main mail server when it is up.
3. Upgrading/Migrating our Control Panel Server
4. Moving DNS2 to a separate class C block on its own server (VPS).
5. Backup server on NAS.

Well anyway, I sure hope the Mail and MySQL servers are running much better right now.

Thank you for your patience while we resolve all kinks/problems.

Richard
04-22-2004, 04:07 AM
Looks like some new DC pics are in order to show off those shiny Dells ;) :D
Are you considering Dell NAS' as well?

Things can only get better, Dave :thumbup:

dagta
04-22-2004, 04:09 AM
I hope I didn't bring some bad luck your way. :eek3:

All of my previous hosts had severe problems (3 other hosts in 6 months before Fluidhosting).

I've been VERY impressed with FluidHosting through these problems. I was getting replies to my support emails in under 10 minutes. Other hosts I would sometimes wait a day or two. If this has been the worst for FluidHosting in two years then I'm even happier that I moved here.

Excellent work!

-DAGTA

FH-Dave
04-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Firelogic
Looks like some new DC pics are in order to show off those shiny Dells ;) :D
Are you considering Dell NAS' as well?

Oh, yes ... I should upload new pictures of our Dell servers :) At this point, yes, we are considering Dell NAS. It's an expensive buy, but then we have been going towards Dell lately as our network/server vendor.

Things can only get better, Dave :thumbup:

I sincerely hope so :)

FH-Dave
04-22-2004, 04:38 AM
I hope I didn't bring some bad luck your way. :eek3:

I believe Murphy's law would not differentiate this at all :)

Thank you for your feedback and confidence on our service and your understanding despise the problems we had :)

FH-Dave
04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
How is mail and mysql going lately for you guys? Hope everything has been much better.

As Richard requested, here are the pictures of our new servers: http://forums.fluidhosting.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=881

Enjoy.

relworg
04-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Dave,

I have not seen any problems with my email, nor have I had any reports from my customers with database program errors/slowness.

Great job guys! Oh, and I am also fighting the urge to be jealous with your servers....