PDA

View Full Version : HSphere control panel upgraded to 2.4_p2

allera
06-05-2004, 02:57 AM
The upgrade to 2.4_p2 went smoothly and without incident. If anyone is having any problems with anything, please let us know right away!

Else, feel free to converse about the good and bad of 2.4 in this thread!

Skibum
06-05-2004, 06:53 AM
OK... It is finally here... but Where's the Beef?

Where is the email filtering?

EDIT 8:10

As I cannot delete my post, I am editing it to say that I should really read your email before I post. I guess thats what happens when you read it at 6:00 AM on a Saturday.

:sorry:

Skibum
06-05-2004, 11:40 AM
At last... EMail filtering!

Thanks Fluidhosting! :bow:

Have any suggestions for setting a level?

I am starting with agressive..

ian
06-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I had a quick look at the new control panel, and it appears that the email filtering still only applies to local mailboxes. Is that the case? I use catch-all forwarding, and was hoping one of the patches might address that.

Am I missing something? Are there still some more patches to be applied? Or is it just not going to happen? :weeping:

cord
06-05-2004, 03:13 PM
ian,
if you are using catchall, maybe you cant forward it to another email address on the same domain that has antispam applied?

just a thought.

AlexanderT
06-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Great work guys. Literally no down time for this major upgrade.

... and spamassassin works fantastically ;)

EDIT: I am not sure if the AntiSpam preferences are working correctly. I set the Spam Check Level to "Aggressive" which is according to the H-Sphere manual equal to rejecting messages that score over 4. According to the headers of my received emails, however, SpamAssassin still requires a score of >= 5 (the default value if no spam level is set).

Another question: what is a "Mail Domain Alias" ?

bdeli
06-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Another question: what is a "Mail Domain Alias" ?

From the HSphere Guide:

Mail aliases are alternative addresses to existing mailboxes. They can be used receive e-mail, but the messages will arrive to the primary mailbox. There are two kinds of supported mail aliases:

* mailbox name aliases
- the mailbox and its alias share the same mail domain
e.g. mailbox2@example.com will be an alternative address to mailbox1@example.com
* mail domain aliases
- the mailbox and its alias have different domain parts (i.e. mail domain and its alias) and the same mailbox names. For instance, example.net being a mail alias to example.com, every mailbox on example.com will have a counterpart on example.net, specifically mailbox@example.net will be an alternative mail address to mailbox@example.com.

Mail domain aliases come with regular domain aliases only. You can't have a mail domain alias without a regular domain alias.

cord
06-05-2004, 06:20 PM
I would concur with AlexanderT
The antispam settings for spamassassin seem not to be working. For example, I have it on very agressive, and it let a 4 point message get through.

Skibum
06-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Absolutely an issue. I am on Very Agro as well, and not much is being caught... :weeping:

allera
06-05-2004, 08:03 PM
PSoft will be looking into the 5.0/4.0 problem as others seem to be experiencing the same problem.

Currently, anti-spam is running bare bones. That is, it's simply SA's filters calling the shots. After this 5.0/4.0 problem is resolved, I'll let the system run for a week or so and try adding on different filters, such as bayes, razor2, and dcc support, as those seem to be highly recommended (I use bayes myself and it's great). I'll depend on you guys to let me know if things work to your satisfaction or not. :)

If you guys have any comments on those add-on filters, I'd love to hear from you. Those filters would be server-wide if/when enabled.

cord
06-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I also use bayes client side. Problem with bayes (imo) is that it really depends on learning alot. Right now I have 10000+ emails in my junk folder! But it catches pretty much everything.
The other thing with all types of filtering is processing power. I am sure you guys have taken this into account, but some times it amazes me how slow a bayesian filter really is.

btw, great job on the upgrade.

one last thing, there is no AWStats yet correct? I took a look at their website and it looks pretty impressive!

Skibum
06-05-2004, 09:41 PM
AWS is there, but at the bottom of the page... :)

cord
06-05-2004, 10:50 PM
him
I see the icon and click on it. Then I enter password. It gives me a page cannot be found error so its not there for me :P

bdeli
06-06-2004, 01:00 AM
him
I see the icon and click on it. Then I enter password. It gives me a page cannot be found error so its not there for me :P

Same here...I also get the same error when i try to load File Manager.

Skibum
06-06-2004, 07:17 AM
Interesting.... everything works fine here.... ;)

allera
06-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Most of you with the problems already know this, but for those who have not submitted any tickets, File Manager is now corrected and we're working on AWStats.

AWStats appears to be configured correctly and is collecting data as it should, but simply won't display to the user via browser for some reason.

These problems only affected Windows customers, so most of you probably saw no problems.

Spam Assassin is still being checked by PSoft.

cord
06-07-2004, 10:15 AM
I got a reply from fluid support that fixed my problems!
If you go into your web options, disable and re-enable CGI Dir. Also, make sure that the .pl extension is included in the CGI section.

Lastly (and obviously) make sure you have enabled AWStats on the domain you want. :P

AlexanderT
06-07-2004, 10:18 AM
SA also seems to work right now ;)

The last spam mails I had were flagged with i.e.

Content analysis details: (12.2 points, 4.0 required)

which is the setting I enabled in HPshere (Aggressive = 4.0).

Skibum
06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
It was my assumption that points were a bad thing..

My last SPAM was a 11.2 of 5 required
the one before that was a 7.9 of 2 required

Just what does this mean?

Thanks

cord
06-07-2004, 11:22 AM
When the score is larger than threshold, it will be tagged in the subject line as *****SPAM*****.
You then need to make a rule in your email client to delete anything with that in subject or to move it to your spam folder.

The more the points, the higher the certainty of spam.

allera
06-07-2004, 11:25 AM
If an email has a problem with it, SA assigns a certain amount of points to it. There is a threshold that determines whether it is "tagged" or not. Aggressive's threshold is 4.0. Relaxed is 10.0. That means on relaxed mode, an email has to have quite a lot wrong with it to be tagged.

Let me know if you guys are still having any difficulties with SA.

By chance, are any of you using mail.fluidhosting.com as your SMTP server? If so, what auth method (pop-before-smtp or smtp auth) and are you experiencing any problems?

cord
06-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I am using the mail.fluidhosting smtp. I had problems getting it to work with smtp auth but I can use it now with pop before smtp. It initially used to work as smtp auth.

Skibum
06-07-2004, 11:49 AM
I understand what you are saying, but why did my value change from 5 to 2? I did not change anything, and I am on Very Agro.

Perhaps a complete value=name is appropriate?

Also, please understand that I am not complaining! I just want to understand what is going on, so when someone asks me I'll know the answer. :thumbup:

cord
06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
This is because initially, the setting in control panel for level of agressiveness were not functioning. As a result, even though you had your setting at very aggro, it was effectively at normal.

Now that they are suddenly functioning, the threshold has gone way down.

Incidentally, in the headers for my email, it states that auto-learn is set to no. Does anyone know what auto-learn is? I have never really used spam-assissin before :help:

AlexanderT
06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
I use mail.fluidhosting.com and am using pop-before-smtp - works fine here.

Skibum
06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks Cord. :O

ian
06-08-2004, 11:35 AM
ian,
if you are using catchall, maybe you cant forward it to another email address on the same domain that has antispam applied?

just a thought.
I guess you meant "can" rather than "cant". Yep, that may work if I used a local FH mailbox, but I actually forward all my email (from a few places) to a single mailbox at my ISP.

It'd be nice if the system could filter forwarded email (not just local mailboxes), but it's not as big a concern for me as it used to be. I've started using Spamcop recently, and it does quite a nice job.

warrisr
06-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I see that the new control panel also offers anti-virus filtering as well. Can someone tell me more about the technology that is being used for this?

Ron Warris

allera
06-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I see that the new control panel also offers anti-virus filtering as well. Can someone tell me more about the technology that is being used for this?

Ron Warris
ClamAV is being used:

www.clamav.net

cord
06-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Yes ian, I did mean "can"
You could forward it twice: i.e. catchall to somelocal@yourdomain.com to username@yourisp.com

This may work.

AlexanderT
06-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Date is not shown correctly (marked bold) for incoming e-mails alerted positively by ClamAV:
----
Return-Path: <webmaster@ericsson.hr>
Delivered-To: yyy@xxx.org
Received: (qmail 53420 invoked
by uid 399);
9 Jun 2004 16:11:14 -0000
Message-ID: <20040609161114.53419.qmail@mail.fluidhosting.com>
Delivered-To: yyy@xxx.org
Received: (qmail 52941 invoked
by uid 399);
9 Jun 2004 16:10:50 -0000
X-Virus-Scan: Scanned by clamdmail 0.15 on mail1.fluidhosting.com (found Worm.SomeFool.Gen-1); Wed, _d Jun 2004 12:11:13 -0400
Reply-To: yyy@xxx.org
To: yyy@xxx.org
Subject: Virus Worm.SomeFool.Gen-1 found in attached mail by ClamAV.
Date: Wed, _d Jun 2004 12:11:13 -0400
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on mail1.fluidhosting.com
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.4 required=4.0 tests=INVALID_DATE,NO_REAL_NAME autolearn=no version=2.63

ian
06-09-2004, 02:20 PM
You could forward it twice: i.e. catchall to somelocal@yourdomain.com to username@yourisp.com

This may work.
But as far as I can see, the current system won't allow forwarded email to be filtered (only local mailboxes can have it enabled). That's the problem :)

cord
06-09-2004, 02:41 PM
oops
had a brain fart :O

cord
06-25-2004, 04:31 AM
Out of curiosity, is there a status update on the new spam filters?
I am kind of salivating over some bayesain :D

AlexanderT
03-27-2005, 07:20 PM
EDIT: I am not sure if the AntiSpam preferences are working correctly. I set the Spam Check Level to "Aggressive" which is according to the H-Sphere manual equal to rejecting messages that score over 4. According to the headers of my received emails, however, SpamAssassin still requires a score of >= 5 (the default value if no spam level is set).
Well what was once fixed is now back. I am getting more spam again and I noticed in the mail headers that the level is set to 5, even though in the control panel I've set it to "Aggressive".

bdeli
03-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Same here - spam increased a bit lately.

I am also wondering whether the control panel was ever upgraded to 2.4.2-p3 which was supposed to be scheduled on 03/20/2005. My AwStats still show v6.3.

FH-John
03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmmm. Have you tried changing the setting in the control panel again, and seeing if that makes a difference?

AlexanderT
03-28-2005, 05:34 AM
John,

I changed it to level 'normal', and it is tagged as '5'.
I then switched back to level 'aggressive', and it is still tagged as '5'.

X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.0 required=5.0 tests=none autolearn=disabled
version=3.0.2

allera
03-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Same here - spam increased a bit lately.

I am also wondering whether the control panel was ever upgraded to 2.4.2-p3 which was supposed to be scheduled on 03/20/2005. My AwStats still show v6.3.
Yes, the control panel is 2.4.2-p3, however the windows servers are still running awstats 6.3 for some reason. We are looking into it.

AlexanderT
03-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Alex also any news on fixing the spam settings again?

Thanks!

ono-neko
03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
I believe John has re-configured the spam settings already a day or two ago.

AlexanderT
03-30-2005, 09:19 AM
But something is still not right as I pointed out (http://forums.fluidhosting.com/showpost.php?p=11617&postcount=38) earlier. I just sent a ticket regarding this issue, thank you Hary.