Fluid Hosting Forums

Fluid Hosting Forums (http://forums.fluidhosting.com/index.php)
-   Pre-Sales Stage (http://forums.fluidhosting.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Windows VPS - can they be used for VPN? (http://forums.fluidhosting.com/showthread.php?t=3514)

jimbob 08-07-2007 10:17 PM

New Windows VPS - can they be used for VPN?

Hello,

I have a client who needs a VPN connection, so that *all* their internet traffic goes through it. (They will be moving to a country where internet traffic is heavily monitored.)

I think a VPN connection is the best solution?

Is this possible on the new Windows VPS accounts?

(ie: They want *all* traffic to go through the VPN, including DNS lookups, MSN chat, email, web browsing, etc...)

Thanks.

FH-John 08-08-2007 03:01 AM

What VPN software are you looking to use?

jimbob 08-08-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FH-John (Post 18103)
What VPN software are you looking to use?

Hi John,

First, congrats on your recent marriage. evilbanana

My client is using WindowsXP for all his computers, so they would like to use the "built-in" VPN client for that part.

On the server, I believe Windows 2003 Server "standard" version has VPN capability built-in.

Here's a tutorial they gave me to "explain" what they want: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5805260.html

Do you think that will work?

ono-neko 08-21-2007 12:54 PM

Hi jimbob,

My apology for the very late response.

I just checked with manual/knowledge base of Virtuozzo, which is the software we use (developed by SW-Soft), and it looks like that it is not possible to setup VPN server on Virtuozzo Windows VPS.

Forgot to add, does it really need to be Windows VPS? Would Linux VPS works? The reason is because we can set up VPN server on Linux VPS with no problem (just need some tweaking). In fact, we and our customers have used Linux VPS as VPN servers.

jimbob 08-21-2007 12:57 PM

Hi Hary,

OK, thanks. No, it does not need to be a Windows server. I just figured that would be easier, since the customer will be using the "built in" VPN client included in Windows XP/Vista.

But it can pretty much be any platform as long as the customer can use the built-in VPN client. Is that possible with linux?

ono-neko 08-21-2007 01:35 PM

Basically, what we do is to installed OpenVPN server on the VPS, then install OpenVPN client software, which is not complicated at all, on the user's machine to connect to the VPN server. There is also a configuration file generated on the server that will need to be distributed to each machine that will be connecting to the VPN server.

jimbob 08-25-2007 03:44 PM

Hi Hary,

Thanks. I guess my concerns about using the openVPN client software instead of the built-in Windows VPN software are:

1. This particular customer who will be using the VPN is absolutely brain-dead when it comes to technical stuff. He needs (literally) a button to push. Anything more and he is lost, and I'll end up spending way to much time to support him. If the openVPN client software is literally that simple.. then it sounds good. But in my experience, most "open source" or "free" alternatives tend to require some technical expertise.. which will wind up costing me in time to support this guy.

2. It is critical that ALL network traffic (including DNS lookups) needs to go through the VPN connection. I know that with the built-in Windows VPN client, this is the situation since it's tied into the OS and everything will go through the VPN. Is this the case with the openVPN client? Even DNS queries and *all* network traffic will get routed through the VPN?

Thanks Hary, I appreciate your time with this. :)

jimbob 08-29-2007 10:48 AM

Any thoughts on this Hary?

ono-neko 08-29-2007 12:03 PM

Sorry I missed your post.

With OpenVPN, the installation/setup only needs to be done once on client's end, after which so long there's no problem, you do not have to change anything anymore. Of course, if you want to do some setting change, then the config file on client's end need to be adjusted as well.

By Default, OpenVPN will route all traffic via it, including DNS queries, so you can have all network traffic go through your VPN connection. You can also specified what traffic to go through the VPN based on the destination's IP addresses, which we are doing for our internal purposes.

jimbob 09-21-2007 05:15 PM

Hi Hary,

OK, our customer is finally ready to move forward with this so I wanted to just confirm a few things with you. Here's basically what I think we need:

- A normal Unix VPS account with Webmin "control panel" installed.

- Installation and configuration of the OpenVPN software on the server to get it set up to work with the openVPN client users. (We'll take care of any client-side stuff.) (ie: We'll have two users to start, and should have a different un/pw.)

- Installation of the OpenVPN "webmin module". I think this will more easily allow us to use the WebMin CP to add/remove VPN users.

The server will not be used for regular domain/website/email hosting.

So:

1) Can you confirm that this sounds ok for what is needed? (Customer needs *all* internet traffic from their VPN client computers to be routed through the server, including DNS, IM chat, email, browsing, etc.)

2) Can you let me know what will be the cost?

3) Can you tell me what "semi-managed" means?

Thanks!

patrick24601 09-26-2007 01:04 PM

Do I know you? :)

jimbob 09-26-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick24601 (Post 18262)
Do I know you? :)

:) Small internet, eh?

patrick24601 09-26-2007 01:12 PM

Very small. Indeedy.

FH-John 09-27-2007 08:35 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply.

1) Yes, thats correct.

2) Cost will depend on the VPS plan you'd like, http://www.fluidhosting.com/vps/pricing.php. In addition, we charge $75/hr for custom installs, billable in 15 minute increments.

3) We'll provide support/assistance with all standard software, or software installable by HSPc. Beyond that, it depends on our knowledge of the software, or the amount of assistance needed.

Jesus 03-16-2010 01:10 AM

It can be used but it is harmful for your computer....