Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > News, New Features, and Improvements

Old 12-18-2005, 10:27 PM   #31
William
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin
Well, quite a few. How difficult would it be to manage a VPS for someone who is a PHP developer? I mean, for a VPS that will offer what a shared plan does? My server admin skills are limited to installing some Apache / Php / MySQL pre-made bundle on a windows laptop and IIS + PHP + MySQL on a windows PC.
I seem to get away with it.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #32
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

After the release of new MSA, Shared Hosting plans are released and we are now ready to take all upgrades requests from you. The following email notification was sent to all customers:

Quote:
PS: Please do not reply to thsi email directly as your reply will not be attended too. Instead, please direct all questions/concerns you have to support[at]fluidhosting.com.

Dear Valued Customers,

At Fluid Hosting, we are constantly trying to improve our services to you. And at this moment, we are happy to announce the release of our new shared hosting plans. All customers can benefit from the new plans and pricings effective immediately by requesting upgrades to the new plans.

You can see the new plans at http://www.fluidhosting.com/comparison.php and as you can see, the new plans are bigger (more disk space and more bandwidth) and better. We reduce the number of domains included on each plan; however we also reduce the cost for additional domains from $2/domain down to $1/domain. Furthermore, databases (MSSQL, MySQL, and PgSQL) add-ons pricing have also been reduced. Overall, we believe the new plans are simply better and more attractive.

All customers are expected to switch from the old plans to the new plans at the end of their contract term. However, you can have your plans upgraded at any time, as long as the new plans you are upgrading to be at least of equal value to the current one you have.

The new plans name and codes are as follows:
Compact Unix/Windows Plan (CUP/CWP) with 300 MB space and 10 GB bandwidth.
Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP) with 1000 MB space and 20 GB bandwidth.
Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP) with 2000 MB space and 40 GB bandwidth.
Super Unix/Windows Plan (SUP/SWP) with 3000 MB space and 60 GB bandwidth.
Extra Unix/Windows Plan (EUP/EWP) with 4000 MB space and 80 GB bandwidth.

As always, we offer prepayment discounts of 10%, 15%, 20%, and 30% for 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, and 24 months prepayment respectively.

Please note that the following plans will be phased out and you will be expected to change to the new plans at the end of your contract term:

Old Unix/Windows Basic (OUV1/OWV1)
Old Unix/Windows Economy (OUV2/OWV2)
Old Unix/Windows Standard (OUV3/OWV3)
Old Unix/Windows Deluxe (OUV4/OWV4)
Unix/Windows Value (U1/W1)
Unix/Windows Light (U2/W2)
Unix/Windows Economy (U3/W3)
Unix/Windows Standard (U4/W4)
Unix/Windows Deluxe (U5/W5)
Unix/Windows Power (U6/W6)
Unix/Windows Premium Mini (UP1/WP1)
Unix/Windows Premium Starter (UP2/WP2)
Unix/Windows Premium Advanced (UP3/WP3)
Unix/Windows Premium Deluxe (UP4/WP4)
Unix/Windows Premium Power (UP5/WP5)
Unix/Windows Value Basic (UV1/WV1)
Unix/Windows Value Light (UV2/WV2)
Unix/Windows Value Extra (UV3/WV3)

And All Special/Custom plans

You can login to your control panel and see the current plan your account has. If you are not sure the account plan you have currently, please do not hesitate to contact us at support[at]fluidhosting.com.

If for some reasons, you would like to stay with your current plans, then we advice you to upgrade to a longer contract commitment or to have your contract starting date readjusted. These must be requested before 01/31/2006 by sending email to support[at]fluidhosting.com. Below are two examples:
1. you are currently under Unix Premium Starter plan with monthly commitment/contract. And you would like to secure the current plan for at least another six months. In this case, simply email us at support[at]fluidhosting.com before 01/31/2006 to have your billing term changed to six months. You will be guaranteed to keep your current plan for another six months. At the end of the six month period, you will need to upgrade to one of our new plans.
2. You signed up for Unix Premium Starter plan on February 1st, 2005 with annual contract. By our term, you will need to upgrade to one of our new plans on/before February 1st, 2006. However, you can request to have your current contract starting date be adjusted to 12/20/2005 (today) and this will allow you to keep your plan until 12/19/2006 before you will be asked to upgrade to our new plans on 12/20/2006. Simply email us at support[at]fluidhosting.com before 01/31/2006 to have your contract starting date be adjusted.

Without any requests from you, at the end of your contract term, you will be upgrade to our new plans automatically and the following upgrade paths will be used (current plan --> new plan):

Old Unix/Windows Basic (OUV1/OWV1) --> Compact Unix/Windows Plan (CUP/CWP)
Old Unix/Windows Economy (OUV2/OWV2) --> Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP)
Old Unix/Windows Standard (OUV3/OWV3) --> Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP)
Old Unix/Windows Deluxe (OUV4/OWV4) --> Super Unix/Windows Plan (SUP/SWP)
Unix/Windows Value (U1/W1) --> Compact Unix/Windows Plan (CUP/CWP)
Unix/Windows Light (U2/W2) --> Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP)
Unix/Windows Economy (U3/W3) --> Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP)
Unix/Windows Standard (U4/W4) --> Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP)
Unix/Windows Deluxe (U5/W5) --> Super Unix/Windows Plan (SUP/SWP)
Unix/Windows Power (U6/W6) --> Extra Unix/Windows Plan (EUP/EWP)
Unix/Windows Premium Mini (UP1/WP1) --> Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP)
Unix/Windows Premium Starter (UP2/WP2) --> Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP)
Unix/Windows Premium Advanced (UP3/WP3) --> Super Unix/Windows Plan (SUP/SWP)
Unix/Windows Premium Deluxe (UP4/WP4) --> Extra Unix/Windows Plan (EUP/EWP)
Unix/Windows Premium Power (UP5/WP5) --> Extra Unix/Windows Plan (EUP/EWP)
Unix/Windows Value Basic (UV1/WV1) --> Medium Unix/Windows Plan (MUP/MWP)
Unix/Windows Value Light (UV2/WV2) --> Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP)
Unix/Windows Value Extra (UV3/WV3) --> Large Unix/Windows Plan (LUP/LWP)

Specials/Custom Plans will be evaluated on case by case basis.

To have your account upgraded to the new plans and start enjoying the benefits today, please open a ticket from your control panel and specify which account plan you would like to be upgraded too. Please note the upgrade procedure will not cause any downtime to your websites. The upgrade simply increase your plans definition without causing any service interruption.

Should you have any questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at support[at]fluidhosting.com. We will be available to assist you with any questions/concerns you have regarding these new plans and the upgrade procedures.

Sincerely,
Dave Tong
Fluid Hosting, LLC
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #33
gubaguba

Will be looking for another provider

I just did the math on what I have now and what it will cost me to continue with what I will be "down graded" to and my cost to host with fluidhosting almost doubled. Currently I pay $172 yearly with the new program I would pay $143. However to equal what I have now I would pay an additional $60 for domains, $24 for additional IP, $50 for SSH, $23 for a shared SSL. So my new plan would cost $300 for exactly what I have now. What I gain is useless I don't use the bandwidth or the disk space I have now. I have been a client for nearly 3 years yet the letter gives no explanation for the cost increases. This alone would give me reason to leave. I am unsure of the economics of hosting but it would seem likely that the cost would decrease not increase unless it runs counter to every other technology I use which seems to constantly offer me more for less. What is worse is I just recommended them in a forum I am active in this morning. I will now have to post otherwise.
gubaguba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #34
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

If you already have SSH access, then you don't need to pay again.

Regarding IP, how is it you pay additional $24 under the new plan that you don't under the old plan? Your old plan ($172/yr) and new plan should come with the same number of IP. I don't see how the new plan will cost you almost double. Please contact us and we will take a look into it.

In any case, there are ways for you to keep your current plan if you would like to. Please read the email notification I sent carefully. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #35
bdeli

FH-Dave - will the reseller plans be upgraded?
bdeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #36
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

new reseller plans are still pending. We will next release the new VPS plans (within 24 hours). After which, we will release the new reseller plans, hopefully before Christmas.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:32 AM   #37
dagta

Dave, I have some concerns about the change of plans email.

If I'm reading it correctly, the most anyone can do to extend their current plan is to extend it as far as 12/19/2006. To do so, that person must pre-pay up to that point. On that date, the customer will be forced to upgrade to a new plan.

If I'm also reading it correcty, customers are not permitted to downgrade to lesser plans.

I have not changed my plan since I started with Fluid Hosting. I was fortunate to get in on the Christmas special you ran in late 2003 / early 2004. I have watched the new plan releases since then and none of them have a plan that can match the special I received. I realize this is a special case. However, I cannot see myself continuing with an upgraded plan. In fact, I've considered moving to a slightly smaller plan but have not come to a decision on that.

My plan is set to renew sometime in February. I would prefer to stay with Fluid Hosting as I have not found another shared hosting provider with the level of quality and service your company offers. However, it will not be feasible for me to continue at a higher rate at this time.

I do not intend this post to read as any kind of threat. It is simply the status of my current shared hosting situation. I would be disappointed to leave Fluid Hosting as I do not believe I will find better service, but I will have to do what I can afford.

If you are willing, please rethink the wording of your plans and your decision to force customers to change/upgrade to new plans.

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #38
inTELLiGrunt
Bursting Bubbles

Dave, you have a vocal minority and a silent majority, but what if they are all thinking the same? ...

From today's [Fluid Hosting Notification] New plans and pricings released! Simply bigger and better! ...

"However, you can have your plans upgraded at any time, as long as the new plans you are upgrading to be at least of equal value to the current one you have."

"Without any requests from you, at the end of your contract term, you will be upgrade to our new plans automatically"

... i.e., you can only upgrade if you spend more money, and if you don't upgrade we'll do it for you.
inTELLiGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #39
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

dagta,

As mentioned in the email, all special plans will be dealt on case by case basis. Please contact me and I will work it out iwth you
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 PM   #40
suzi

Graeme wrote:

Quote:
It's a shame that there isn't a way for shared customers to see what's involved in setting up and maintaining a VPS. Maybe someone could do a VPS blog or something?
Graeme, since you are the big VPS enthusiast and have the experience and expertise, I nominate *you* to do the blog.

I know you know how to install MT, too.

Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005-2009
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #41
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTELLiGrunt
... i.e., you can only upgrade if you spend more money, and if you don't upgrade we'll do it for you.
Actually, you miss the whole point there

We give more than 30 days for everybody to voice their concern if they wish not to be upgraded. We will work it out with everybody. However, after 01/31/2006, if customer does not contact us, then we assume the recommended upgrade path has been agreed to and we will simply do the upgade for customer to save time. So the soonest we will do automatic upgrade would be 01/31/2006 or at the end of customer's billing term following 01/31/2006.

We have been upgrading quite a few people and we have been dealing with few special cases. For the rest of you (the so called silent majority), don't be silent. As you all know, I am all ears
Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #42
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi
Graeme, since you are the big VPS enthusiast and have the experience and expertise, I nominate *you* to do the blog.

I know you know how to install MT, too.
I second this motion So Graeme, what da ya think?

Regarding our VPS, I don't like to use the word "managed" to freely. We don't like to claim and use this word too often as different people has different expectation as to what "managed" should mean to them. We offer our VPS as semi-managed. However, so far, throughout three years of offering VPS service, we have only charged one customer for asking our help to install a very unique/customized application. Other than that, everytime customer is having problem with the VPS or simply need our assistance, we just go and assist them.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #43
ian

I was going to put this in a "trouble ticket", but as it concerns all existing customers, I may as well post it here

Regarding the no "downgrading" policy...

If it was always your intention to have this policy, I think it would have been a good idea to mention it when proposing the new plans, rather than after they were made official. At the last round of plan changes, I was able to switch plans without waiting for my existing contract to finish, so I certainly wasn't expecting it. I suspect others weren't either.

I still think this policy is a bit unfair to existing customers as we'll be paying more than new customers for the same service (in fact the old plans have less resources at higher cost). Also, one of the main selling points of the old plans was the "Premium Internap bandwidth". That's been removed now. I'm not saying that's a disaster, but the service is not the same as what we originally signed up for, and therefore I think it's only fair that customers should be allowed to freely switch plans. Don't you agree?

Cheers,
Ian.
ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #44
Graeme
Forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-Dave
Sure I'll do it unless anyone else does Not until after my winter holiday though

Graeme
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #45
William
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-Dave

Regarding our VPS, I don't like to use the word "managed" to freely. We don't like to claim and use this word too often as different people has different expectation as to what "managed" should mean to them. We offer our VPS as semi-managed. However, so far, throughout three years of offering VPS service, we have only charged one customer for asking our help to install a very unique/customized application. Other than that, everytime customer is having problem with the VPS or simply need our assistance, we just go and assist them.
Yep. I probably would have killed my VPS long ago if it wasn't for Dave, John and the rest of the gang behind the scenes.
William is offline   Reply With Quote