Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > Customer Comments

Old 05-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
AlexanderT

Exclamation 324 days with Fluidhosting, perhaps soon another 365?

As you can see, for almost one year I've been with FH now. And looking back at my previous experience with other hosting providers, FH beats them all. Speed, reliability, availability - definitely no unknowns to FH!

Naturally, those 324 days were not entirely free of trouble. I think we all remember some database and website outages in 1Q 2004. But isn't it true that especially in times of trouble you can tell friend from foe? In the time we experienced problems, Dave, Alex & co. were doing everything imaginable to solve these - and they solved them all, faster than probably most other host providers would have managed.

Now, after this honestly-meant and well-deserved candy talk, I'd like to mention one issue I have with deciding whether or not I should soon sign up for another 365 days: amount of offered web space.

To my knowledge, prices at FH, at least for shared hosting, haven't changed in the past 324 days. The same is true for the individual features of the hosting packages. In the same time, almost every other host provider I've looked at has raised his standards, which is mostly due to a drastic fall in hardware prices. In a store, you get the triple amount of harddisk today that you would have had one year ago, for the same price. I understand that a host provider must buy harddisk space at least twice - once for the original data, and once for the backup. But this was also true one year ago.

So, given how dramatically harddisk prices have dropped, I wonder when FH is considering upgrading its own hosting plans.

With my respect,

Alexander
http://www.mobileread.com
AlexanderT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
warrisr

I think there is a lot more to a good hosting service than just more drive space. Personally I would not want to see FH reduce pricing and end up having to reduce or curtail their top notch support service to remain profitable.

Overall the FH hosting plans are extremely good value and I would hate to see them lower their standards just to compete with the other so-called hosting services out there. Half of which I have tried and abandoned in frustration.

Cheers!

Ron Warris
Online Information & Supply Inc.
warrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:18 AM   #3
AlexanderT

I did not argue that more disk space was necessary to make FH a good host, per se. Nor did I say that FH should drop its prices. I merely pointed out that hard disk drives have sharply dropped in prices over time while FH's hosting plans haven't taken this into account.

I fail to see how FH would "lower their standards" by actually giving a share of the extra harddisk space available for the same money to its customers. As of now, the only one who really benefits from the ever-decreasing prices is FH.

Last edited by AlexanderT; 05-18-2004 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:36 AM   #4
FH-John
Fluid Hosting Tech

Hard Drive costs have come down a bit, however most of our servers use SCSI drives, which aren't cheap yet.
FH-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:50 AM   #5
AlexanderT

Well, you just added another 36gb hdd to graviton (for new customers, I assume).

Today, a new Seagate ST336732LW 36.7GB 15000RPM ULTRA-320 SCSI costs $220/RETAIL.

In Q1 2003, the price for the same hard drive was $460/RETAIL.

To say that "Hard Drive costs have come down a bit" is an understatement. The hard drive price war has affected both, IDE and SCSI.

It is not me to say how and when FH makes modifications to its plans to give FH customers a share of the benefits from these hardware price cuts. -- I was just trying to make a point, namely, that hardware prices have generally dropped, which allows in effect most other host providers to increase their web space allowances.

Please don't take me wrong. I am happy with FH, mainly due to its good customer support. But the competition is getting fiercer and more attractive. When my one-year plan expires next month, I will consider to continue with a month-to-month payment plan, which allows me to be more flexible in making decisions how to host my site.

Sincerely,
Alexander
Old 05-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
nvphone
Events May Change

Been there and done that.
To lazy to move, have learned that you get what you pay for.
Could care less what a hardrive cost.
What I do want is; site uptime, support and good load time on my sites.
Time for my nap and let FH worry about the hosting!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
woodyw

Smile I'm Stayin'

Well, I am just over a year with FH. Renewal notice came and was paid instantly! Why? Value.

I did not even bother to look around because I did that before I got here. Value, to me, includes space, bandwidth, and, most of all, reliability. The super fast customer support, advance 'warnings', and this forum are added value.

Hits are up, sales are up, complaints are gone - I'm stayin' right here.

C. Woodcock
woodyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
dagta

I've only been with FH three months so far but it's been the best three months of hosting I've ever had. FH was the fourth host for me since October. So long as the service stays this good, I'm not leaving. The costs are higher than cut-rate 'hosts' but the service is far beyond those hacks.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #9
AlexanderT

Somehow I feel this thread goes OT. I was neither a) commenting negatively on FH customer services nor b) was I pushing on leaving FH. Please, if you want to comment on FH services or explain why you do not want to leave FH, start your own thread.

Fact is that today harddisk space became drastically cheaper than it was any time before. Of course, also demand for harddisk space increased. The two go together. So, while demand increased, and prices for harddisks decreased, host providers can, should, and do take this into account when adjusting their plans to new market conditions.

I don't think FH can justify the current limited harddisk allowances for another full year. It is simply not competitive. I will stay with the month-to-month plan, so that I can easily upgrade to a better plan as soon as FH decides to give its customers a share of the benefits of dropping harddisk prices.

Alex
Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #10
Richard
Joy™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderT
Fact is that today harddisk space became drastically cheaper than it was any time before. Of course, also demand for harddisk space increased. The two go together. So, while demand increased, and prices for harddisks decreased, host providers can, should, and do take this into account when adjusting their plans to new market conditions.
Hi Alex,

I think you've made a valid point. Out of curiosity, how much space are other providers offering these days? How much space would you like to see in Fluid's plans? I take it your currently pushing the limits of your space allotment on your current plan?

Cheers,

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
AlexanderT

Richard, you're right about me pushing the limits of my current space allotment. Like for most others I think, my demand for storing digital data has increased over the past 12 months.

I am not going into bandwidth comparison, because I know that FH bandwidth is high-premium, and it thus justifies that FH plans offer less bandwidth than competing plans by other host providers (competitors like Site5 even offer automatically roll-over bandwidth). Here is what I came up with comparing web space with other offers:

FH Economy 400MB web space $17.95/mo. ($14.36/mo. if annually)
FH Standard 600Mb web space $27.95/mo. ($22.36/mo. if annually)
FH Deluxe 800MB web space $37.95/mo. ($30.36/mo. if annually)

HostRocket Giga-Special 1000MB+100MB web space $14.95/mo. ($11.95/mo. if annually)
HostRocket Executive 1250MB+100MB web space $24.95/mo. ($21.95/mo. if annually)

Lunarpages Shuttle 800MB web space $7.95/mo.

1&1 Business 1000MB web space $9.99/mo.
1&1 Developer 2000 MB web space $19.99/mo.

UnitedHosting Gold 1000MB web space $18.00/mo.

Site5 Spring Special 1500MB web space $12.00/mo. ($7.00/mo. if annually)
Site5 Site3 1200MB $16.95/mo. ($13.95/mo. if annually)

Last edited by AlexanderT; 05-19-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
Richard
Joy™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-John
Hard Drive costs have come down a bit, however most of our servers use SCSI drives, which aren't cheap yet.
I think what John is getting at is that you would need (as an example) 3x 74GB SCSI drives in an array for every 1x 200GB ATA drive. This would allow you to host 200 accounts/server @ 1GB/account. Considering that 1x 74GB drive will cost you around 50% more than 1x 200GB ATA drive ...

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
AlexanderT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelogic
I think what John is getting at is that you would need (as an example) 3x 74GB SCSI drives in an array for every 1x 200GB ATA drive. This would allow you to host 200 accounts/server @ 1GB/account. Considering that 1x 74GB drive will cost you around 50% more than 1x 200GB ATA drive ...
SCSI has always been more expensive than IDE. I am not arguing against that. However, compared to one year ago, SCSI had a similar drop in prices like IDE, percentagewise.

FH made their plans and the calculations based on their costs at least one year ago (when I signed up) -- these are the same plans you see today on FH's frontpage, despite the general drop in hardware prices we were talking about.

Btw, all of these host providers I mentioned above are running SCSI hdds.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #14
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

I personally have been working on new plans, which will come with more disk space and more bandwidth for a small increase in hosting fees. This was done to our VPS customers, and the response, though not as great as I would want is better than I expect.

The really hard thing about coming up with new plans/pricings is to predict the side effect; how customers will respond to it. The last thing we would want is to have customer dowgrade their current plans because the new plans/pricings offer more disk space/bandwidth even at the lower plan. This will turn into less revenue for us, which would be bad, of course, considering none of our techs, John, Hary, and Alex, would settle for less wages (and boy are they expensive ).

But anyway, we would definitely come with new plans/pricings. The current plan has been in affect for at 13-14 months and I do agree this might be a good time to roll out our new plans. But I will not make FH to be competitive in pricing with the hosts you mention above
Old 05-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #15
AlexanderT

Thanks for your quick and honest reply, Dave. It was not my intention to directly compare you to any of the host providers mentioned before. There were listed merely for the sake of discussion on harddisk space.

I know what you mean by "customer dowgrade their current plans because the new plans/pricings offer more disk space/bandwidth even at the lower plan". But the same happened to me, just a couple of months after I joined FH: There were two holiday specials, Unix Deluxe Special: 1000 MB space, 30GB transfer, 50 domains, 50 mysql/pgsql databases, 1 free dedicated IP, SSH Access. - $18.95/month, and Unix Power Special: 1500 MB space, 60 GB transfer, 100 domains, 100 mysql/pgsql databases, 2 free dedicated IPs, SSH Access. - $37.95/month, whereas the first offered more than twice as much services than my current plan for only a small increase in price.

Well, I wasn't exactly happy, but I stayed