Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > Pre-Sales Stage

Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
stanj

Questions of ecommerce site owners on VPS or shared Reseller accounts

Hello members
I am not a account holder yet, still tire kicking. I have a small ecommerce site group; one shopping cart and a couple informations sites linked to it. I've been with another H-Sphere hosting service for a number of years and seek to change to a more responsive and reliable host. My choices are a VPS such as the Enhanced VPS account or another shared reseller account. If the shared environment is fast enough I would like the fully managed nature of it. If not, the VPS is the next step up.

My question is for current users, are there any oSCommerce carts hosted on your account that I can check out for site response on either a Fluid Hosting VPS or a Shared Reseller account?
Do you ever see unusual slowdowns or time outs of queries? Do you classify it as a small, mid, or large cart in volume of orders?

If you are on a VPS, and not a IT guru, did you find it difficult to manage yourself. I am a PHP and VB coder, and wrote all our office productivity applications and several web applications but never dealt with admin on a live server. My test box in the office has been up without any downtime for 2 years, but that was a simple LAMP setup that required few adjustments from defaults.

Email questions; Do you have problems with Comcast and other large providers blocking mail even temporarily if you are on a shared account? AOL?

Thank you for any suggestions or information you might offer.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
theOG
I love M$, Apple, & Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanj View Post

My question is for current users, are there any oSCommerce carts hosted on your account that I can check out for site response on either a Fluid Hosting VPS or a Shared Reseller account?
Do you ever see unusual slowdowns or time outs of queries? Do you classify it as a small, mid, or large cart in volume of orders?
I don't use OScommerce... my customers pick the products they want, then it takes them to a cart hosted by my merchant account provider (technically not my merchant account provider, but it sounds like you will know what I mean). This setup for me makes sense, and allows me to not worry about security (I stay on top of it, but easier than me having to "roll my own").

I've been here for four years and not had any issues so far.

Quote:
Email questions; Do you have problems with Comcast and other large providers blocking mail even temporarily if you are on a shared account? AOL?

Thank you for any suggestions or information you might offer.
So far I've not had any issues... we used to send out monthly newsletters but stopped for a short period. On regular email, I have one personal account that I use with fh and I've not had any problems.

My main email accounts use an email hosting provider... not that I don't trust the email hosting provided at FH (never had any issues), I think that email and web hosting don't really go together... not if you are serious about your email.

Last edited by FH-Dave; 04-17-2010 at 09:58 AM.
theOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
AlatsleXPiess

Questions of ecommerce site owners on VPS or shared Reseller accounts

Thank you for such a quick response I think I know where Ill be asking my questions from now on.

So, I think Ill go with the regular version of VBulletin for now and possibly upgrade to the Suite at a later time. I still need to educate myself on what the CMS really does apparently.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
stanj

Found this old post of mine from 4.5 years ago.
An update is in order. I got the VPS, loaded it with the site, forum and shopping cart plus a few test sites fro development just after I wrote the quires above.
A lot of things have changed since that time, our little web site and shopping cart grew a bit from 4 people to a seasonal 150 employees and the only constant has solid problem free fast page serving and database queries. I came back to the site only to see the new offerings and features for getting my own personal VPS.
It is hard to guess how many people are hosting with Fluid because there is so little activity on the forum which is a very good sign that people are too busy worrying about their business and not their server.
My philosophy about business has been simple regardless of field: the features, price, slick presentations, deals and size mean nothing in determining true value, it is instead the value a client places on their own problems that a provider or service can take away. My goal has always been to allow my clients to sleep an extra hour every morning by having fewer worries. My worries about web sites that generate the bulk of our sales now are NOT about servers and hosting. That essential part of the business is the only part that I do not have to worry about. One would only realize how good that is if they had prior histories of it being the major daily problem as it was when I wrote that post 4 years ago.