Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > Pre-Sales Stage

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
coaster

Hosting a video blog

I'm currently on the medium unix shared hosting plan; hosting only one site with a very low traffic forum. One of the forum members has expressed interest in a video blog. He knows nothing about it; neither do I. I'm comfortable I can get up to speed on creating and installing a site for him using off-the-shelf software, so I offered to set up and administer the site for him on my account if he provides the content. I've got a couple questions:

1) knowing that video takes a lot of bandwidth, would a video blog be in violation of Acceptable Use Policy point #17?

2) would it be necessary to upgrade my account, and if so, to what level? (both to provide satisfactory hosting performance and to comply with AUP #17)

Thanks......
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Hi Tim,

My apology to overlook your post here. Since you are already customer, the best way to contact us would be to open a ticket from your control panel.

#1: It is practically impossible to know in advance whether you will be overloading the server resources. The AUP is placed to inform customer that we reserve the right to suspend an account should there be a AUP violation. Having said this, I do not believe you would be in violation of our AUP #17. How would you stream the video? Through httpd? If so, you are not running a CGI process/server-side program on your own.

#2: depending on how much data you would be streaming, I would advise you to get our VPS. You can use the VPS to stream your video data. Since the VPS environment can isolate VPS resources better (e.g., a customer would not affect your VPS and vice versa), we can allocate bigger traffic allowance per VPS, and offer a cheaper bandwidth.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
coaster

Thanks Dave; I posted here because I thought someone else in the future might benefit from the answer. I know nothing about hosting video, so I'll have to research your answer to the first question. And if it turns out I need a VPS, I guess I'll have to find out if this person is willing to share the extra cost. Thanks again.....