Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > Pre-Sales Stage

Old 07-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
LWZ

Video Update Response

I need the ability to stream video inside a membership site and as you know video is a different game but before I commit to a secondary hosting solution for my video content such as vzaar.com, which would allow me to point my videos to only view through my Fluid based web site, does Fluid have any options, opinions, likes or dislikes regarding video?

If I understand right, kaltura.org scripts/library could be installed on my Fluid account to act as my uploader/format process crucher/etc but does the use of the AHA Cloud make Fluid a real option for a video membership site?

I ask because the bandwidth price for video is much higher than a typical host though I understand there are considerations such a CDN stuff.

Any advice here, known afforable solutions or management software for video?

Since it would be a video club I'm talking between 50 to 150 videos (tutorials). Heck, I'd bump up to the biggest shared plan but VPS is something I can't make time for, thanks.

Thanks
LWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
FH-John
Fluid Hosting Tech

Hello,

On our shared hosting, you can use HTTP streaming for video. However, the video will need to be converted to whatever format you'd like to stream it as, before it is uploaded to the web server.
FH-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
LWZ

That is very nice and a resonable option because that is what I really want to do, stream behind a membership. The formating is not a problem.

Last question, since we are in a cloud evironment:

I know this is impossible to really answer in some ways but if a have a relatively poplar site streaming 50-150 videos (well compressed) in 10min length or shorter, guessing maybe 20-30 active streams at once max, though I may be inside my bandwidth usage, am I approaching the need for VPS, not close to the need or way past? ...assumuming I was fine, how would it affect my sites performance or does the cloud take care of that?
LWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
FH-John
Fluid Hosting Tech

At that point, you would want to consider moving to a VPS. As for impact on your site, it shouldn't have any performance impact.
FH-John is offline   Reply With Quote