Fluid Hosting Forums  
HomeWeb HostingSupportContact UsAbout UsForums |

Go Back   Fluid Hosting Forums > General Forums > Pre-Sales Stage

Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Colocation Questions

I've been running a Web site for 8 years on various hosting services and for a number of reasons would now like to move it to my own server.

I am now using about 40gB/month. What is the real total monthly cost of colocating a server at Fluid Hosting?

I am just beginning this process and haven't purchased a server yet. Can anyone recommend a good and affordable Linux server that would be suited for colocation. Rack mount or tower? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-20-2004, 02:37 AM   #2
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Hi Don,

Thank you for contacting Fluid Hosting for your colocation needs.

Colocation can be a great/right solution for some people and may benefit you over renting a dedicated server somewhere else. We only accept rackmount servers and not desktop/tower enclosures.

Our colocation comes with:
- fully burstable 100 Mbps (full duplex) highest quality Internap bandwidth with 100% network uptime guarantee
- one port to our remote reboote switch; reboot your server anywhere in the world, anytime.
- 24/7/365 monitoring for one port with a frequency of 1 minute.

With 40 GB of Internap bandwidth per month, you will be looking at $120/month which includes your rack space (1U) and power. Or I can also do this for you for 100 GB of badnwidth and 1U rack space for $175/month.

As for suggestion, I will suggest you to use rackmount. Doing so will give you more flexibility on which colo datacenter to with. All colo places will accept standard 19" rackmount, but not all datacenter will want to have rackmount on their racks (which we also don't).

You can buy 1U server at many different places, such as InterProMicro, Acme Micro, Dell and many others.

Let us know if you have any further questions/concerns.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
Unregistered

A few questions:

If I go with the 40GB deal and I go a little over 40GB in a month does it just cost $2.50 for each GB over?

Is a Cobalt RaQ 4 considered a 1U? I have an opportunity to get one used.

Thanks for your help as I work this out.

Don
Old 04-20-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Overage bandwidth charge will be charged at $4/GB or you can prepurchase for a cheaper rate. You can find the pricing here: http://www.fluidhosting.com/colocation.php.

Yes cobalt RAQ 4 is a 1U rackmount server.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Unregistered

Dave, Your pricing seems reasonable and competitive. I'm going to buy the RaQ 4 and get it set up. When I'm done I'll contact you.

Am I correct that my server would be located in your Boston Data Center? I live in the Boston area.

Out of curiosity, do I come in with my server to install it or do I send it to you for installation?

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #6
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

My apology for my late reply. I did not see you have already replied here.

Yes, your server will be located in Somerville (about 10 minutes from downtown Boston), inside Internap's data center.

You can come with your server to install it but you will need to make an arrangment with us if you choose this way. Our office are in Connecticut, so you can also send your server to us and we will install it to you.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
Unregistered

No problem Dave, I've been out-of-town until today anyway.

My new (to me) RaQ 4 server was waiting for me and have started loading and configuring it.

I ran a Linux Web server for several years so I have some experience but I've never colocated. I may have some basic questions as I set the new server up. Would you prefer that I ask them here or directly by email?

Right now I do plan to use FluidHosting for the colocation. I like your price and location.

I look forward to working with you.

Don
Old 04-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
FH-Dave
Fluid Hosting Staff

Don,

Feel free to contact us at support[at]fluidhosting.com. You may also contact me directly at dave[at]fluidhosting.com for any other pre-sales questions you may have. Looking forward to working with you!